As parents, we know how important it is to keep our babies clean and healthy. Choosing the safe and truly non-toxic baby shampoo is very crucial, as babies’ skin is thin and can be easily harmed by toxins.
In this article, you will get the answer to the question of how to find the healthiest baby shampoo with the safest ingredients that won’t dry out your baby’s skin.
- Harmful Ingredients To Avoid In Baby Shampoos
- What To Look For In Non-Toxic Baby Shampoo
- TOP 9 Non-Toxic Baby Shampoos
- Pipette Baby Shampoo + Wash (Fragrance-Free)
- ATTITUDE 2-in-1 Shampoo And Body Wash (Unscented)
- Babo Botanicals Sensitive Baby 2-in-1 Shampoo & Wash (Fragrance-Free)
- Evereden Baby Shampoo & Body Wash (Fragrance-Free)
- Wash with Water 3-in-1 Baby Cleanser, Shampoo, Bubble Bath (Unscented)
- HONEST Shampoo + Body Wash, Sweet Orange Vanilla
- Earth Mama Simply Non-Scents Castile Baby Wash
- CALIFORNIA BABY Shampoo & Bodywash, Eucalyptus Ease
- CARINA ORGANICS Baby Shampoo & Bodywash (Unscented)
- The Differences Between Our Top 9 Non-Toxic And Natural Baby Shampoos
- Tips On How To Wash Your Baby’s Hair
Harmful Ingredients To Avoid In Baby Shampoos
Everything that you put on a baby’s skin must be very carefully checked. From the first days of life, they need special skincare, and the scalp is no exception. For this reason, it is important to choose the safest shampoo for your baby.
Let’s take a closer look at the chemicals in shampoos you need to avoid and what harms they pose to babies.
Parabens are a fairly common preservative used in cosmetics to prevent the growth of bacteria and fungi and extend the shelf-life of the product.
Parabens are easily absorbed into the skin. They can cause hormone dysfunction, breast cancer, reproductive problems, weight problems in young children, and skin irritation. When checking the list of ingredients, avoid the following:
Formaldehyde-releasing substances are a group of toxic chemical compounds that, during their decomposition, release formaldehyde. They are commonly used as antimicrobial and antifungal preservatives.
Formaldehyde is dangerous because it can cause cancer, harm the central nervous system and reproductive organs, also cause skin irritation and allergic reactions. It enters the body by inhalation, ingestion or through the skin.
Therefore, pay attention to the following substances in children’s shampoos:
- DMDM hydantoin
- Polyoxymethylene urea
- 1,3-dimethylol-5,5-dimethylhydantoin (or DMDM hydantoin)
- Sodium hydroxymethylglycinate
- Tosylamide/formaldehyde resin
This is an organic compound that is a by-product in the process of treating chemicals with ethylene oxide to reduce damage to the skin. The most common use of this organic compound is in lather-forming products such as shampoos, liquid soaps and bubble baths.
Here is a list of ingredients that may be contaminated with 1,4-dioxane:
- sodium laureth sulfate (SLS)
- PEG compounds
- chemicals that include the clauses xynol, ceteareth and oleth
This chemical can lead to cracking, flaking or dry skin. If absorbed through the skin, it can cause damage to the liver, kidneys and brain. It can also cause eye problems including redness, irritation, or permanent damage .
SLS or SLES (Sodium Lauryl Sulfate)
Sodium Lauryl Sulfate is a surfactant that breaks down fat lathers well. SLES is short for Sodium Laureth Sulfate. This cleansing component performs the same functions, but is softer in effect. However, as it pollutes the environment, it cannot be used in organic or certified products.
Products with SLS and SLES can cause eye, skin, mouth and lung irritation. They can also clog pores and cause breakouts in people with sensitive skin,. Sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS) can cause severe health problems such as neurotoxicity, endocrine disruption, reproductive problems, possible mutations, and cancer.
SLS can be hidden behind the following names in baby shampoos:
- aquarex me or aquarex methyl
- monododecyl ether
- sodium salt
- sulfuric acid monododecyl ester sodium salt
- sodium dodecyl sulfate
- sodium salt of sulfuric acid
- sulfuric acid.
PEG (Polyethylene Glycol)
PEG (polyethylene glycols) is a petroleum-based compound used in cosmetics as solvents, thickeners, emollients and moisture carriers.
PEGs themselves are not usually dangerous, but they can often be contaminated with 1,4-dioxane and ethylene oxide, known carcinogens. PEG can be especially toxic to children whose skin is damaged in some way. Also, hair care experts believe that PEG can have harmful effects on the scalp.
Triclosan is an antibacterial chemical. Although it destroys bacteria, it can also damage beneficial microflora, which can harm children as most children haven’t fully developed it yet. Exposure to triclosan has been linked to skin irritation and allergic reactions, especially in children .
The main problem with all fragrances is that the manufacturer is not required to disclose their compositions. Therefore, it is likely that they contain harmful chemical substances which can harm your baby.
Synthetic substances are much cheaper than plant-based sources and are often derived from petroleum by-products. These may include carcinogens such as benzene derivatives and aldehydes, as well as toluene (a neurotoxin).
In this list, we have named the most dangerous ingredients in baby shampoos that you should definitely avoid.
What To Look For In Non-Toxic Baby Shampoo
When choosing a non-toxic baby shampoo, it is important to learn all of its ingredients. The Environmental Working Group (EWG database) will help you do this!
Always check the EWG ranking of any baby personal care products. This nonprofit organization rates the safety of ingredients found in personal care products, on a scale from 1 to 10. Products with lower numbers have safer ingredients, and those that meet EWG standards receive the EWG VERIFIED™ mark.
Also, there are a few other things to consider when choosing the best baby shampoo for your little one:
1. Baby’s skin type. Even the safest and most environmentally friendly shampoo may simply not be suitable for your baby due to the fact that it does not suit your baby’s scalp.
2. Baby’s age. This is a fairly important criterion that should not be neglected, especially for newborns. For newborns, we are looking for the mark “0+” or “from the first days”, for older children “from 6 months”, and so on.
3. Odorless and fragrance-free.
4. Neutral PH. Shampoos with a neutral PH will help to gently cleanse the baby’s hair and skin.
5. Expiry date. Remember that all natural organic and eco-friendly shampoos will have a limited shelf-life, and it is not safe to use these products after they expire.
TOP 9 Non-Toxic Baby Shampoos
We did in-depth research to find the safest baby shampoos for your little one. All the brands of baby shampoos on our list are made from natural and non-toxic ingredients, which we also checked for safety with the EWG database.
We have personally chosen Pipette Baby Shampoo for our daughter because it is made with the safest clean and non-toxic ingredients.
This shampoo is approved by pediatricians, has been tested by dermatologists, and was EWG verified after a rigorous safety screening process.
Also, we are so pleased how great this baby shampoo works on the baby’s sensitive skin without drying or causing irritation.
About Pipette Company
- Pipette (a part of a larger biotech company Amyris) was founded in September 2019 in Berkeley, CA.
- Pipette believes that biotechnology can change the world. That is why their scientists focus on creating effective, safe skincare that doesn’t harm the environment or animals. Babies and our earth deserve better products, which is what Pipette strives for.
- The company has numerous third-party certifications. Its products are hypoallergenic, dermatologist-tested, pediatrician-approved, Leaping Bunny Certified, and PETA certified Cruelty-Free and Vegan. The majority of their products are also EWG Verified.
- All Pipette products are proudly made in the USA.
What We Love About Pipette Baby Shampoo + Wash (Fragrance-Free)
- The shampoo is non-toxic, gentle, and free from any skin-irritating ingredients.
- You will not find any harmful chemicals in it. Pipette Shampoo is free of mineral oil/petrolatum, sulfates, parabens, phthalates, formaldehyde-releasers, synthetic fragrance, and polyethylene glycol (PEG). Pipette has banned over 2000 potentially harmful ingredients in their clean formulas.
- Its tear-free formula is perfect for babies’ hair and skin. It won’t cause any irritation thanks to the gentle plant-derived formula.
Where To Buy
ATTITUDE 2-in-1 Shampoo is made with the safest and clean ingredients. It is ranked among the best shampoos for babies according to the Skin Deep EWG Cosmetics database.
About ATTITUDE Company
- ATTITUDE was founded in the spring of 2005 by Jean-François Bernier and Benoît Lord. Their own families inspired them to create high-quality household products with only natural ingredients that work better than synthetic options, but at an affordable price.
- All ATTITUDE products are made with clean and natural ingredients that are safe for our families and the planet. These ingredients are developed using EWG’s strictest standards: free of cancer-causing chemicals, endocrine disruptors, mutagens, and other ingredients of concern. Their products are ECOLOGO and PETA Certified, vegan, cruelty-free, and hypoallergenic.
- Attitude baby care products are made in Montreal, Quebec, Canada.
What We Love About ATTITUDE 2-in-1 Shampoo and Body Wash
- ATTITUDE 2-in-1 Shampoo and Body Wash is made only with worry-free, EWG VERIFIED soothing and hypoallergenic ingredients. It is free of formaldehyde and formaldehyde liberators, parabens, benzyl alcohol, and other harmful ingredients.
- Hypoallergenic, dermatologically tested, Certified Ecologo (as a sustainable and biodegradable product), and PETA Certified (vegan and not tested on animals).
- It is fragrance-free making it a good choice for babies who are sensitive to perfumes and aromas.
Something To Keep In Mind
- Not tear-free.
Where To Buy
Babo Botanicals Sensitive Baby Shampoo is specifically designed for babies and kids with sensitive, dry, and eczema-prone skin to help minimize the risk of allergic reactions.
This shampoo is free of EWG’s ingredients of concern and made only with pure plant actives and naturally derived, certified organic, or 100% natural ingredients.
About Babo Botanicals Company
- Babo Botanicals was started in 2010 when its founder Kate Solomon had her first child and searched for safe products for her son. She found that there was a need for products with clean, natural ingredients that are completely safe for babies and great for everyone in the family.
- The company’s mission is to help families and nature work together. They hope that customers will be inspired to care for nature in the same way that nature takes care of us.
- Babo Botanicals offers safe, non-toxic, and pure haircare, skincare, and sunscreen. All of their products are created with natural and organic ingredients that are known to be effective.
- All Babo Botanicals products are made in the USA and are allergy-tested and dermatologically tested by independent partners.
What We Love About Babo Botanicals Sensitive Baby 2-in-1 Shampoo & Wash
- The 2-in-1 Shampoo & Wash is specially formulated with natural oat protein, shea butter, cocoa butter, calendula, chamomile, and meadowsweet to help soothe and nourish your baby’s scalp and dry patches.
- It is a natural shampoo which is free of harmful toxins such as petroleum, sulfates, paraben, phthalates, synthetic colors & dyes, and synthetic fragrances. It is EWG Verified, meaning that this product has no harsh ingredients and is safe and healthy for you and your family.
- It is made with a tear-free formula and is perfect for newborns and smaller kids.
Where To Buy
This multi-purpose, non-toxic baby product can be used as a shampoo, body wash, or soap for babies. It lathers easily without causing tears, making it an essential item for newborns and for making bath time a joy.
About Evereden Company
- The Evereden company was founded in 2019 in New York. It was created by moms in medicine and the brand is backed by science.
- Everden baby bath care products are made in the USA. All their products are pediatrician-created and dermatologically tested.
What We Love About Evereden Baby Shampoo & Body Wash (Fragrance-Free)
- Evereden Baby Shampoo & Body Wash (Fragrance-Free) is EWG VERIFIED as it meets the strictest safety standards of the Environmental Working Group (EWG) and is totally safe for your baby.
- This baby shampoo is free of synthetic fragrances, sulfates, parabens, phthalates, petrolatum, and other 1400 harmful ingredients prohibited in the EU.
- The shampoo is formulated only with the safest ingredients: gentle coconut-based cleansing ingredients (for healthy skin) and glycerin-based moisturizers and oils (for better hydration).
- It is made with a tear-free formula. Perfect for newborns.
Where To Buy
Wash with Water 3-in-1 Baby Shampoo is a great baby product that helps with multiple tasks. It is made of clean, non-toxic ingredients and is free of harmful chemicals. This makes it good for dry and eczema-prone sensitive skin, as it helps to hydrate, soothe, and nourish the skin.
About Wash with Water Company
- The Wash with Water Company was founded by a mom Stephanie Pascarella with a team of experts having over 30 years of experience formulating natural products in 2012.
- The company promises that its products are ALWAYS clean and free from harmful ingredients. Their products are small-batch crafted within an FDA/USDA/CGMP registered laboratory.
- Wash with Water products are made in the United States with sustainable packaging.
What We Love About Wash with Water 3-in-1 Baby Cleanser, Shampoo, Bubble Bath (Unscented)
- Wash with Water 3-in-1 Unscented Baby Shampoo is EWG VERIFIED which means it meets the strictest safety standards of the Environmental Working Group (EWG) and is totally safe for your baby.
- It is free from harmful ingredients: petroleum, parabens, sulfates, phthalates and synthetic fragrance. The shampoo is also gluten-, soy-, and dairy-free.
- Baby Shampoo is safe for allergy-prone, eczema-prone, and sensitive baby skin as it is formulated with a blend of natural organic Moroccan argan, aloe, and coconut oils.
Something To Keep In Mind
- This multi-tasking baby wash is not tear-free.
- As its ingredients are all-natural and organic, the company recommends using the product within 2 years of purchase or 6 months after opening it for best performance.
- Wash with Water 3-in-1 is not mass produced so it can vary in color, scent, and, to some extent, texture.
Where To Buy
The most popular Honest Shampoo with Sweet Orange Vanilla scent is made without harmful chemicals that could irritate your baby’s sensitive skin.
It is made up of mostly natural ingredients like aloe vera, chamomile, and coconut oil which moisturize and soothe the baby’s skin.
About HONEST Company
- This company was created by actress Jessica Alba in 2011. Although they began by just selling a simple subscription service for diapers and baby wipes, they now sell over 100 products.
- The Honest Company produces baby products as well as products for personal care and cleaning. They are committed to always being safe and effective.
- They have partnered with Baby2Baby, a company which donates essentials (including diapers) to vulnerable children in the US.
- Honest Shampoo is made in the USA with US and imported materials.
What We Love About HONEST Shampoo + Body Wash, Sweet Orange Vanilla
- Honest Everyday Gentle Shampoo + Body Wash is EWG VERIFIED. You will not find any harsh chemicals in the shampoo as it is free of dyes, preservatives, parabens, phthalates, formaldehyde, synthetic fragrances, and SLS/SLES.
- This shampoo is made with naturally derived ingredients and is gentle enough to use every day and can be used to clean the entire body from head to toe. It will leave your baby’s skin moisturized and their hair soft and clean.
- Hypoallergenic, dermatologically tested, and tear-free baby shampoo.
Where To Buy
This truly non-toxic and gentle liquid soap is made only with natural and organic oils and herbs to be safe and effective for newborns, pregnant mamas, and the whole family.
About Earth Mama Organics Company
- Earth Mama Organics was established in 2002 in Clackamas, OR, by a herbalist and nurse Melinda Olson.
- The company specializes in manufacturing clean herbal care for everyone. All their products are informed by traditional herbal remedies, evidence-based research, and generations of women’s wisdom.
- Earth Mama Baby products are made in the USA.
What We Love About Earth Mama Simply Non-Scents Baby Wash
- Earth Mama Baby Wash has achieved a number 1 rating on the EWG’s Skin Deep Cosmetics Database, which is the lowest hazard rating a product can have.
- Baby Wash is made with calendula, organic olive oil, and shea butter. It is certified by Oregon Tilth, an independent third-party certifier.
- It is made without underlying bad ingredients and is free of common toxins: synthetic fragrances, preservatives, triclosan, phthalates, dyes, parabens, or sulfates.
- This product has been tested by dermatologists and found to be both effective and mild for delicate baby skin and hair. It is also favored by hospital NICUs.
Something To Keep In Mind
- This castile-based soap wash is not “tear-free”. Be extra careful around the baby’s eyes.
Where To Buy
Developed by a mom, California Baby Shampoo & Bodywash is made only with 100% plant-based ingredients without any harsh chemicals.
About CALIFORNIA BABY Company
- California Baby was founded in 1995 in Los Angeles, California by Jessica Iclisoy. The company makes premium, high-quality skincare products with plant-based ingredients for babies, children, and adults with sensitive skin.
- Their products are made and packaged in the USA in an organic solar-powered facility.
What We Love About CALIFORNIA BABY Eucalyptus Ease Shampoo & Bodywash
- California Baby Shampoo & Bodywash (Eucalyptus Ease) has EWG score 1. Its ingredient list does not contain any harmful ingredients.
- The shampoo is free of synthetic fragrances, betaines, parabens, phthalates, sulfates, formaldehyde carriers, petrochemical contaminants, and petroleum-based synthetics. It is also allergy tested and does not contain soy, gluten, oats, dairy, or nuts (except coconut).
- The water used in the shampoo is filtered and pure to ensure the cleanest base possible for the product. Its scent is made from 100% pure essential oils.
Where To Buy
This shampoo and bodywash is gentle, lathers less, rinses off easily, and is perfect for a newborn child. That’s why this one is one of our favorites.
About CARINA ORGANICS Company
- The Canadian company, Carina Organics, was founded in 1972 with the mission to provide the cleanest possible products for our bodies. They have focused on replacing harmful ingredients with safe, natural, organic ones.
- All their products are made by hand on the North Shore of Vancouver, British Columbia.
What We Love About CARINA ORGANICS Unscented Baby Shampoo & Body Wash
- Carina Organics Baby Shampoo & Bodywash (Unscented) has an EWG score of 1. Its ingredients are safe and there are no harmful chemicals in the ingredient list.
- The tear-free baby shampoo is made only with the finest and cleanest ingredients. Those ingredients are sustainably sourced, carefully harvested, and certified organic.
- The shampoo formulation contains plant extracts that have been certified organic and no organic scented extracts.
- It is also free of gluten, soy, corn, and all other common allergens. The shampoo is hypoallergenic, vegan, cruelty-free, and 100% biodegradable.
Where To Buy
The Differences Between Our Top 9 Non-Toxic And Natural Baby Shampoos
To summarize all the information above, we have compared the 9 Best Non-Toxic Baby Shampoos for quick reference, so you can easily compare their EWG SCORE, presence of tear-free formulas, where they were made, and their cost.
|9 Best Safe and Non-Toxic Baby Shampoo||EWG SCORE||Tear-Free Formula?||Made in||Cost|
|Pipette Baby Shampoo + Wash (Fragrance-Free)||Verified||Yes||USA||$|
|ATTITUDE 2-in-1 Shampoo And Body Wash (Unscented)||Verified||No||Montreal, Quebec, Canada||$|
|Babo Botanicals Sensitive Baby 2-in-1 Shampoo & Wash (Fragrance-Free)||Verified||Yes||USA||$$|
|Evereden Baby Shampoo & Body Wash (Fragrance-Free)||Verified||Yes||USA||$$$$|
|Wash with Water 3-in-1 Baby Cleanser, Shampoo, Bubble Bath (Unscented)||Verified||No||USA||$$$|
|HONEST Shampoo + Body Wash, Sweet Orange Vanilla||Verified||Yes||USA||$$|
|Earth Mama Simply Non-Scents Castile Baby Wash||1||No||USA||$$$|
|CALIFORNIA BABY Shampoo & Bodywash, Eucalyptus Ease||1||No||USA||$$$$|
|CARINA ORGANICS Baby Shampoo & Bodywash (Unscented)||1||Yes||Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada||$$$$|
Tips On How To Wash Your Baby’s Hair
Unfortunately, something as simple as washing your baby’s hair can be so complicated. To help you, we have provided the following tips.
You can wash your baby’s hair immediately after birth, but not more than 1-2 times a week. Washing hair too often can lead to dry skin and discomfort. In the first days of life, you can wash their hair using just a washcloth and water, and gradually introduce a natural safe shampoo over time, depending on age.
In the first weeks, while the navel is still healing and it is not advisable to wet it, the child should be wiped with a washcloth and water. At this time, we recommend washing their hair after the baby is washed and dressed. When they can take baths, follow the tips below:
1. Security. Prepare everything you need. Think in advance what you will need for a bath, and what to dress your baby in after. The baby should not be left alone in the bathroom for a minute!
2. Temperature. Babies freeze very quickly and, therefore, it is very important that the bathing room is warm and the water is a comfortable temperature.
To make sure the water is the right temperature, test it first with your elbow. Most sources say your baby’s bath shouldn’t be deeper than 2 or 3 inches, which makes sense from a safety standpoint but can leave the baby in a drafty position. Make sure the room is warm before starting the bath, and consider using a cup to pour warm water over their shoulders at regular intervals to keep them warm.
3. Do not forget to cover the child’s eyes with your hand when you wash off the shampoo. Just because the baby’s head is tilted back doesn’t mean that the soapy water won’t accidentally get into their eyes.
4. Use a sponge to clean their hair and a small cup to wash off the shampoo conveniently.
5. Be very careful and gentle with the baby’s skin, especially with soft spots on the head, so as not to put too much pressure on them.
6. Stick to the routine. This will help the baby get used to the procedure faster and love it.
7. Dry hair. After washing, gently dry their hair with a bath towel. There is no need to blow dry their hair.
8. Brushing their hair is very important. For very small ones, a brush with soft natural bristles is suitable. Remember that even if your baby does not have thick hair yet, combing the hair is very important as it stimulates blood circulation and strengthens the hair.