Our Pick For 5 Best Non-Toxic Baby Wipes
- Best Overall Non-Toxic Baby Wipes: Joonya Baby Wipes
- 100% biodegradable base sheet from FSC Certified VISCOSE from cellulose fibers. Wipes are made in New Zealand with the safest ingredients without adding sodium benzoate as the main preservative.
- Best Non-Toxic Wipes For Babies With Eczema: Jackson Reece Kinder by Nature Unscented Baby Wipes
- 100% biodegradable base sheet from VISCOSE derived from wood pulp. 100% recyclable packaging. Baby wipes are made in Europe, UK, with a unique preservative system (potassium sorbate) without adding sodium benzoate.
- Best Non-Toxic Wipes For Sensitive Skin: Eco Pea Bamboo Baby Wipes
- 100% biodegradable base sheet made from BAMBOO fibers. Baby wipes are made with the safest ingredients in China. Contain sodium benzoate preservative at safe levels.
- Best Non-Toxic Wipes For Diaper Rashes: Little Toes Natural Bamboo Fiber Baby Wipes
- 100% biodegradable base sheet made from BAMBOO fibers. Baby wipes are made with the safest, hypoallergenic ingredients in China. Contain sodium benzoate preservative at safe levels.
- Best Non-Toxic Wipes For Newborns: Healthynest Wet Wipes
- 100% biodegradable base sheet from VISCOSE derived from FSC certified wood. EWG Verified and MADE SAFE Certified. Made in Southern California, USA. Contain sodium benzoate (plant-based preservative) at safe levels.
- Why Is It Important To Choose Non-Toxic Wipes For Your Baby?
- Are Disposable Baby Wipes Safe?
- How Are Baby Wipes Made?
- What Ingredients Should You Pay Attention To In Baby Wipes?
- Do Baby Wipes Have Hidden Harmful Ingredients?
- How To Choose The Best Non Toxic Baby Wipes?
- 5 Best Non Toxic And Safe Baby Wipes Brands
- The Difference Between Our Top 5 Non Toxic Baby Wipes
- How To Store Baby Wipes?
- Environmental Issues
- Bottom Line
Baby wipes are an irreplaceable thing for parents nowadays. Since baby wipes are used on the most delicate areas of babies’ skin, it is very important to be sure that they are free of toxic chemicals and irritants and will not harm your baby in any way.
Therefore, our task is to figure out which chemicals you should avoid and what to look for when choosing the best and the safest ones.
Why Is It Important To Choose Non-Toxic Wipes For Your Baby?
It is impossible to deny the advantages of using baby wipes. Firstly, they are convenient to use, always at hand in any situation. Аnd secondly, they help you quickly and efficiently wipe your baby if they get dirty. And this fact is enough to love them. But there are a few caveats.
Unlike other products for baby’s hygiene, after using wipes, the skin is not additionally rinsed with water, which means that the ingredients remain on the baby’s skin.
Infants and young children have a much harder time dealing with toxins, and so they are more vulnerable to toxic chemicals than adults. Their skin is also thinner and more permeable, so when any chemicals touch their skin directly, they are more likely to be absorbed .
The most important factor in an infant’s skin is to maintain a healthy skin barrier which is a mantle made up of intact and healthy skin epidermal layer and natural moisturising factors . For sensitive skin, the chemicals that come with the combination of baby wipes cause irritation at best and terrible allergic rashes at worst, which can be confused with psoriasis or eczema. This is why baby wipes with ingredients that are safe and gentle on the skin play an important role in providing cleansing while minimizing irritation and discomfort.
Are Disposable Baby Wipes Safe?
This is a surprisingly difficult question! Although more new biologically pure brands of wipes are appearing, as before, many brands use harmful chemicals that any parent would not want to expose their little baby to.
For example, recently, аmerican scientists tested baby wipes for children. The object of the study was the composition of the cleaning formula, and the result was unpleasant: the wipes contained hazardous chemicals (in particular, methylchloroisothiazolinone, benzyl alcohol, phenoxyethanol), which are harmful to the skin and can cause other problems.
Therefore, we need to choose natural baby wipes in order to minimize the negative impact.
Here are some helpful pieces of advice to minimize the risk:
- use disposable wipes only when needed. If you can’t do without wipes outside the house, then at home, it is better to use water and baby soap;
- where possible, replace baby wipes with reusable cloth wipes made from organic materials such as cotton;
- give preference to brands that produce natural, organic, and eco-friendly baby wipes.
To better understand the danger of baby wipes, you should know how baby wipes are made and what chemicals they contain.
How Are Baby Wipes Made?
All baby wipes are made of basic parts such as basesheet, formulation, and packaging.
Wet wipes are all made out of cloth. Wipes are typically made of either polyester (plastic), polypropylene (also plastic), viscose (made from wood pulp which can be bleached), cotton, and bamboo fibers (most eco-friendly material).
If you’re looking for the most high-quality, non-toxic, and safe baby wipes, we recommend that you carefully examine the label and select those that use natural and biodegradable materials such as viscose, organic cotton, and bamboo for their base.
It is a blend of water, chemical and natural ingredients, preservatives, and various beneficial additives to maintain the proper pH of babies’ skin. All these components are necessary for the wipes to work effectively.
Manufacturers of baby wipes need to add some sort of preservative to their product to keep them safe and avoid developing harmful bacteria and mold.
Cleansers are necessary to remove dirt from your child’s butts, and scientific studies have shown that water alone is not enough.
In addition, pH buffers and various skin-friendly additives help maintain healthy skin and prevent damage.
Therefore, we will try to figure out in more detail which ingredients should be avoided and which are beneficial for your baby’s skin.
Сonvenient packaging makes the wipes easier to use and allows them to retain their useful qualities for longer.
What Ingredients Should You Pay Attention To In Baby Wipes?
Read below about the ingredients you want to avoid or limit in wet baby wipes.
Before examining in more detail the different ingredients that can be found in baby wipes, we want to highlight one point. There can be no wipes without preservatives, as they are needed to avoid the development of bacteria and mold. If the wipes have no preservatives, they can cause serious infections, especially for babies.
Most wipes contain the following preservatives:
- Sodium Benzoate. This is added to prolong shelf-life in some personal care products. There is debate about whether this chemical is harmful, as some believe that it can be linked to not only allergic reactions but also other health problems such as cancer.
It is ranked by the Environmental Working Group as having a hazard level of 3 out of 10, which means that the overall risk of using sodium benzoate is low, but is still present .
- Benzyl alcohol can be an irritant and cause itching.
- Phenoxyethanol is considered a safer preservative than parabens, but one that can cause problems with babies’ skin, such as eczema and hives. It may also harm the nervous system.
In adults, this chemical might be broken down better but we think it is best to avoid this preservative in baby products because infants are much more sensitive.
- Methylisothiazolinone is another one to avoid. It is an irritant which is banned in the EU and Canada in products which are left on the skin.
- Tocopheryl acetate is a synthetic vitamin E, often used in skincare. However, it is an irritant and might be carcinogenic. Another problem is sometimes it is contaminated with hydroquinone, an ingredient for skin lightening banned in many countries.
- Triclosan is linked to problems with hormones and eye and skin irritation, as found in a study on animals, but direct toxicity has not been established yet.
As an alternative to these harsh preservatives, some companies use mild preservatives like citric acid, potassium sorbate, sodium citrate, and silver dihydrogen citrate.
Parabens and any derivatives (look out for isobutylparaben, butylparaben, propylparaben, methylparaben and ethyl paraben) can harm the skin. Research also confirms that they can cause hormonal problems, infertility, and even cancer.
Cleansers, or surfactants, are a necessary part of baby wipes. The following are some harsh cleaning agents to avoid:
- Sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS) affects the oils that help maintain your skin’s natural barrier. This can cause skin damage and trigger allergic reactions and eczema.
- Sodium laureth sulfate (SLES) can clog pores, cause acne, and cause skin, eye, and mouth irritation.
- PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil – can cause an immune response that can lead to hives and skin itching, and even blistering.
- Polysorbate 20 is used in fragrance, as an emulsifier, and as a surfactant. Often it is treated with ethylene oxide which can contain harmful byproducts. This can cause skin issues, developmental and reproductive toxicity and is linked to cancer.
4. Propylene Glycol And Other Petroleum-Based Ingredients
This is not usually considered harmful in small amounts (according to the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry), but it can cause health problems and skin issues for babies. These substances are often poisonous if swallowed, which is, of course, a problem with products meant for small children.
Polyethylene glycol is also often contaminated with carcinogens and possible carcinogens such as ethylene oxide and 1.4 dioxane.
5. Essential oils
Research indicates that essential oils should not be used on or around infants under 3 months old, as they can cause skin reactions and may harm the lipid barrier of your baby’s skin.
Do Baby Wipes Have Hidden Harmful Ingredients?
As sad as it is to admit, the formulation on the back of the package does not reveal everything that is actually in baby wipes.
Surprisingly, formaldehyde and things which release formaldehyde have been found in baby wipes. Formaldehyde is a carcinogen as recognized by OSHA, and the EWG’s Skin Deep database gives it a score of 10 (the highest score) for its impacts on health .
Even in small amounts, substances that release formaldehyde can harm babies. They can cause irritation to the eyes, nose, and throat, trigger allergic reactions and even cause cancer and serious respiratory issues .
Parents are not likely to buy baby wipes with formaldehyde on the ingredients list. Manufacturers know this and instead list formaldehyde-releasing preservatives such as these: 5-Bromo-5-Nitro-1,3 Dioxane, 2-bromo-2-nitropropane-1,3-diol (bronopol), Benzylhemiformal, Polyoxymethylene Urea, Diazolidinyl Urea, Methenamine, Glyoxal, Tosylamide/Formaldehyde Resin, Sodium hydroxymethylglycinate, DMDM Hydantoin.
Phthalates are unlikely to be found in the list of ingredients on wipes, but they are often a companion substance to fragrances.
Phthalates have been linked to endocrine disruption, decreased sperm count in men, and thyroid disease in women.
Therefore, we recommend choosing those brands of napkins that do not use fragrances at all.
How To Choose The Best Non-Toxic Baby Wipes?
There are several pieces of advice for choosing the best non-toxic wipes:
- Examine the ingredients in your baby wipes with the EWG Skin Deep Database
- Try to choose an eco-friendly and all-natural organic baby wipe brand that has the cleanest list of ingredients without known skin irritants.
- Always look for wipes that are made with natural (not plastic) base sheets and claim to be free of fragrance, alcohol, chlorine, petrochemicals, formaldehyde, and parabens.
5 Best Non-Toxic And Safe Baby Wipes Brands
We did deep research to find the safest and most effective baby wipes for your little one. All the brands of baby wipes on our list are made from a biodegradable and natural base sheet with the safest ingredients, which we checked for safety with the EWG database.
If you’re looking for the safest baby wipes without any harmful ingredients, Joonya baby wipes are really the right option for you!
Every ingredient in their wipes is carefully selected based on the EWG database to keep your baby’s skin clean, dry, healthy, and never irritated.
About Joonya Brand
- Joonya is an Australian brand that specializes in making eco-friendly and safe baby products at affordable prices.
- The company’s mission is to allow families access to safe, high-quality baby products with no compromises.
- Their wipes are manufactured in New Zealand, known for their green credentials and purity, by an advanced manufacturer.
What We Love About Joonya Baby Wipes
- All ingredients in Joonya Baby wipes are non-toxic, and each has been carefully chosen based on its rating on the EWG Skin Deep cosmetics database. This fact makes them suitable and safe for use on any skin type.
- You will not find sodium benzoate in the ingredient list, as Joonya Wipes are made with the safe and extremely effective bacteria-fighting preservative Silver Dihydrogen Citrate (SDC).
- The base sheet is made with viscose from cellulose fibers, which is FSC® 100% certified. Therefore those wipes don’t harm the environment as they are compostable with the correct conditions and 100% biodegradable. Their packaging is also 100% recyclable.
- They are free of chlorine, alcohol, petrochemicals, formaldehyde, and parabens. All Joonya products are not tested on animals and are vegan.
- The size of their wipes on average is 7.1″ x 7.9″ (18 cm x 20 cm). One of the biggest on our list.
- Joonya Baby Wipes INGREDIENTS: Purified Water, Organic Aloe Barbadensis (Aloe Vera) Leaf Juice Powder, Organic Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Silver Dihydrogen Citrate, Citric Acid, Decyl Glucoside, Organic Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Sodium Citrate.
Where To Buy
Best For Babies With Eczema
If you are looking for the safest wipes for your baby that is suffering from eczema, try these baby wipes. Jackson Reece Wipes are specially designed for this problem, and they use only natural and safe ingredients with 99% the purest water.
Jackson Reece Wipes are also environmentally friendly and 100% biodegradable.
About JACKSON REECE Company
- Jackson Reece is a family-owned company that takes its name from the owner’s first two sons. The company was founded in 2003 after the founders could not find an eczema-friendly baby wipe on the market.
- The company’s mission is to help improve our planet for generations to come. In 2020, Jackson Reece switched to 100% fully recyclable packaging for their baby wipes.
- Jackson Reece specializes in baby skincare products (body wash, shampoo, moisturizer, wipes) that are made from natural ingredients in the UK.
What We Love About Kinder by Nature Unscented Baby Wipes
- They come in 100% recyclable packaging and are made from biodegradable wood pulp that is sustainably sourced in Europe. These wipes take only 60 days to decompose!
- The preservatives used in these wipes are potassium sorbate, levulinic acid, and sodium levulinate. Perfect if you want naturally baby wipes made using no sodium benzoate.
- Jackson Reece Wipes were formulated with the help of dermatologists and pediatricians to make them eczema-friendly for babies.
- Wipes are free of fragrance, alcohol, parabens, phthalates, lanolin, triclosan, methylisothiazolinone, phenoxyethanol, or benzoates, so they will not damage the baby’s sensitive skin or the environment.
- Size of the wipes is 6.3″ x 9.4″ (16 cm x 24 cm).
- Jackson Reece Unscented Baby Wipes INGREDIENTS: Aqua, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Betaine, Caprylyl/Capryl, Glucoside, Sodium Levulinate, Levulinic Acid, Glycerin, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Citrate.
Something To Keep In Mind
- Some parents found these wipes to be not strong enough (too thin).
Where To Buy
Best For Sensitive Skin
Eco Pea Baby Wipes are specially formulated for a baby’s sensitive skin.
These ultra-soft and extra-strong baby wipes are made with the natural and eco-friendly material bamboo (100% biodegradable) and the safest ingredients to minimize irritation as much as possible.
Safe for babies, better for the planet, and useful for parents.
About Eco Pea Co.
- Eco Pea Co. was founded by a family of five. Kelly and Adrian decided to create the safest and most eco-friendly diapers when their third child reacted negatively to several diaper brands.
- Eco Pea Co. specializes in making soft and hypoallergenic diapers and wipes that are natural, non-toxic, and safe for baby’s sensitive skin.
- At Eco Pea Co., the founders believe strongly that businesses must support the health of our planet. So, they are partnered with 1% For The Planet and have ensured that their shipping process is carbon neutral.
- Their wipes are manufactured in a fully certified facility in China.
What We Love About Eco Pea Wipes
- Eco Pea Bamboo Baby Wipes contain no harmful ingredients and have no added fragrance. They are hypoallergenic, antibacterial, and dermatologist-approved. They’re also made without gluten, are vegan, and are not tested on animals.
- These wipes are crafted sustainably with 100% biodegradable, eco-friendly bamboo. The new wipes now are made with 33% more bamboo in every wipe, which makes them even more durable and thick.
- Eco Pea Company constantly works on the improvement of their products. Recently, they improved their wipes’ packaging so that exactly one wipe is dispensed at a time.
- The wipes are textured to make them easier to grip when diapering.
- The size of the wipes is one of the largest on our list at 7.9″ x 7.1″ (20 cm x 18 cm).
- Eco Pea Bamboo Baby Wipes INGREDIENTS: Water (aqua), Glycerin, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Gluconolactone, Sodium Benzoate, Calcium Gluconate, Coco-Glucoside, Citric Acid.
To read in more detail about every ingredient in these wipes – CLICK HERE.
Where To Buy
Best For Diaper Rashes
Made from 100% bamboo fibers without harmful chemicals and allergenic ingredients, Little Toes Baby Wipes are naturally hypoallergenic, antimicrobial, and antibacterial. They are soft and delicate on babies’ skin as they are formulated with chamomile, aloe, and cucumber extract for soothing skin and tea tree essential oil to help fight bacteria on it.
About “Products on the Go” (POTG) Company
- The Products On The Go LLC was founded in 2013 by Dr. Sharon Fried Buchalter (clinical psychologist, life coach, public speaker, and more) in Florida, USA.
- The company currently has two brand collections: Little Toes (for diapering), and Sunshine on the Go (for suncare).
- The Little Toes Collection was created to provide a completely eco-friendly, natural, safe, and healthy diapering system that moms and dads can trust.
- This brand strongly believes in the importance of social responsibility. So, a portion of all purchases from the Little Toes or Sunshine on the Go is donated to all kinds of organizations within communities like shelters, clinics, pediatricians, and diaper banks. A portion of Little Toes diaper sales is donated to an organization that helps families in crisis, Red Cross and Rescue Mission Unlimited.
- Little Toes Baby Wipes are made in China in plants that are certified as socially responsible facilities.
What We Love About Little Toes Bamboo Wipes
- They are 100% Biodegradable, vegan, made with soft bamboo and 99% purified water. Free of toxic ingredients and the preservative Methylisothiazolinone (MI), which can cause bad skin reactions. Instead, they use the natural preservatives sodium citrate and citric acid to keep their wipes free of bacteria.
- Little Toes Baby Wipes do not contain synthetic fragrance, but the ingredients used do cause a slight smell to the wipes.
- Baby wipes have no textured surface. They are soft and smooth.
- The size of the wipes is 5.9” x 7.9” (15 cm x 20 cm).
- Little Toes Bamboo Baby Wipes INGREDIENTS: Purified Water (99%) Sodium Benzoate, Potassium Sorbate, Tea Tree Oil, Aloe Barbadians Leaf Juice, Cucumber Extract, Chamomilla Recutita, Citric Acid*, Sodium Citrate*
(*Natural Food Preservatives).
Where To Buy
Best For Newborns
These ultrasoft and hypoallergenic baby wipes are made with water and the safest plant-based ingredients, meaning they won’t irritate a newborn’s skin.
Healthynest Wet Wipes are EWG Verified and MADE SAFE Certified, which means teams of scientists reviewed all of their ingredients and manufacturing processes and deemed the wipes safe.
About Healthynest Brand
- Healthynest is a new personal care brand for babies that was founded by Shazi Visram. She is a founder of a well-known company, Happy Family Organics, and is a member of EWG’s board of directors.
- Healthynest Wipes are made in Southern California. Their manufacturer is partnered with EPA Green Power, so up to 86% of the electricity used in their manufacturing processes comes from solar energy.
What We Love About Healthynest Wet Wipes
- The materials used to make Healthynest wipes are harvested from 100% FSC certified wood, which means it is sustainably sourced and provides economic, social, and environmental benefits.
- They are free of nasty chemicals (fragrance, alcohol, sulfates, and parabens), vegan, and never tested on animals. They do not contain any added fragrances. But if you will notice the light smell in this product, just know that this smell is naturally occurring from the ingredients in it, like chamomile and honeysuckle.
- Their wipes are developed with honeysuckle (which has natural preservative properties) and sodium benzoate (plant-based preservative) at safe levels. These ingredients are necessary to add to the wipes due to the fact that the main ingredient in these wipes is water. It is important to have a safe preservative to protect against any yeast, mold, harmful bacteria, and other microorganisms.
- Healthynest plant-based wipes are biodegradable within one year in a landfill.
- Can be used on your baby anywhere. The wipes’ size is 7” x 8” (18 cm x 20 cm).
- Healthynest Wet Wipes INGREDIENTS: Purified Water, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria), Lonicera Caprifolium (Honeysuckle) Flower Extract, Lonicera Japonica (Honeysuckle) Flower Extract, Glycerin (Vegetable-Derived), Tocopherol (Vegetable-Derived), Gluconic Acid (Plant – Derived), Sodium Benzoate (Plant-Derived), Citric Acid (Plant-Derived).
Something To Keep In Mind
- The Healthynest does not recommend transferring their wet wipes to any other package or wipe warmers.
Where To Buy
The Difference Between Our Top 5 Non-Toxic Baby Wipes
To summarize all the above information, we have compared the 5 Best Non-Toxic Baby Wipes for quick reference, so you can easily compare the materials they are made from, the size, where they were made, and their cost.
|Best Non-Toxic and Natural Baby Wipes
|Base Sheet Material
|Joonya Baby Wipes
|100% FSC Certified VISCOSE from cellulose fibers
|7.1″ x 7.9″ (18 cm x 20 cm)
|Jackson Reece Kinder by Nature Unscented Baby Wipes
|100% VISCOSE derived from wood pulp
|United Kingdom, Europe
|6.3″ x 9.4″ (16 cm x 24 cm)
|Eco Pea Bamboo Baby Wipes
|100% BAMBOO-based fibers
|7.1″ x 7.9″ (18 cm x 20 cm)
|Little Toes Natural Bamboo Fiber Baby Wipes
|100% BAMBOO-based fibers
|5.9” x 7.9” (15 cm x 20 cm)
|Healthynest Wet Wipes
|VISCOSE from 100% FSC certified wood
|Southern California, USA
|7” x 8” (18 cm x 20 cm)
How To Store Baby Wipes?
The storage of baby wipes is also an important issue.
Even organic baby wipes need to be disposed properly and kept out of the reach of children.
If a child takes out a napkin and puts it in their mouth, it can be dangerous to their health. When a child sucks on napkins, they also swallow harmful chemicals along with saliva. Also, when a child chews on a napkin, it can be a choking hazard. Moreover, a child can swallow pieces of a napkin, which can cause problems even with surgical intervention.
It is also imperative to monitor the expiration date of baby wipes, which is indicated on the packaging. This will help prevent them from drying out and the potential development of dangerous bacteria.
Even wipes labeled as ‘biodegradable’ or ‘flushable’ should never be flushed. This is because they don’t degrade quickly enough for the sewer system and can cause big problems in sewer lines and at waste treatment facilities.
Some shocking facts:
- Fatbergs (from the words “fat” and “mountain”) – are a hideous sewer mountain made of wet wipes, grease, and other debris that flood the world’s sewers. According to the Earth Observation Institute, 9.3 million wet wipes are flushed every day. Now you know where they end up and why you shouldn’t flush them.
- It takes at least 100 years for a baby wipe to decompose. Plastic in baby wipes slowly breaks down into microscopic fibers that pollute rivers, seas, and even end up in the food chains of animals and humans. Moreover, recent studies have shown that microplastics are carried by the wind through the air over great distances and settle in the most remote corners of the planet.
So, if you want to help the environment, as well as protect your baby from toxic substances, you should choose non-toxic wipes made from natural biodegradable materials.
Traditional baby wipes are usually made with plastic and potentially harmful chemicals. They create waste and can harm your baby’s health. However, there are now various sustainable alternatives.
If you choose baby wipes from our list above, you know you’ve chosen wipes that are effective, gentle, and good for both the health of your little one and the environment.