Our Pick For 5 Best Non-Toxic High Chairs
- Best Overall Non-Toxic High Chair: STOKKE Tripp Trapp High Chair
- Certified by JPMA. Made with European beech and oak woods; finished with water-based, non-toxic paints; plastic is BPA-free and phthalate-free.
- Best Long-Lasting Non-Toxic High Chair: Keekaroo Height Right High Chair
- JPMA certified. Made with Rubberwood and is finished with a standard water-based clear nitrocellulose lacquer with no pigments and no lead. BPA-free plastic tray.
- Best Design Non-Toxic High Chair: Nomi High Chair
- Certified by JPMA. The stem is made from sustainable wood produced in Europe; plastic parts are made of recyclable pure plastic free of BPA, phthalates, and parabens.
- Best Minimalist Non-Toxic High Chair: Lalo The Chair
- ASTM safety certified and Prop 65 compliant. The chair’s legs are made from FSC Certified sustainable beechwood; plastic details are made from nontoxic and BPA-free food-safe plastic (free of phthalates, PVC, and formaldehyde).
- Best Affordable Non-Toxic High Chair: PlanToys High Chair
- Meets safety standards ASTM. Made with a blend of PlanWood and Rubberwood; finished with E-Zero non-formaldehyde glue and non-toxic water-based dyes.
- Why To Choose A Non-Toxic High Chair?
- How High Chairs Can Be Toxic?
- Factors To Consider When Choosing Non-Toxic And Eco-Friendly High Chairs
- TOP 5 Best Non-Toxic High Chairs:
- The Difference Between Our Top 5 Non-Toxic High Chairs In Table
- High Chair Safety Tips
- Bottom Line
By the age of six months, your baby may be ready to be introduced to solid foods. This milestone is one of the most exciting of your baby’s first year. Your little one will start to discover and explore a whole world of flavors, tastes, and food textures!
If you want to make this process easier, more comfortable, and safe you may need to use a high chair for your baby, which is designed for babies to eat in.
Why To Choose A Non-Toxic High Chair?
Introducing solids means not only letting your baby explore new tastes and flavors, but also lets them learn about food’s textures (by smushing the food between their fingers) and helps your baby develop fine motor skills (by giving your baby freedom to feed themselves with their hands).
It’s not hard to guess how your baby will look after every meal 🙂 Be ready to find the food leftovers in their hairs, ears, noses, sleeves, pans, on all the high chair’s surfaces, on the floor, on the walls… everywhere! And this is a very normal process! It is how the babies explore the new world!
A high chair’s eating (food tray) and sitting surfaces will be always involved in the mealtime process. Your baby will eat right from the surfaces of the high chair and touch with their hands everything they can reach!
If the furniture around (tables, chairs, high-chairs) is contaminated with harmful substances and chemicals – your baby will accumulate all of them in their small body through direct skin contact, ingestion, and inhalation.
Babies are much more vulnerable to toxins and heavy metals than adults due to the reasons below:
- smaller size of their bodies;
- toxins can penetrate children’s skin more easily than adults, with more skin surface area than adults;
- children’s organs are still developing and their bodies are still growing;
- their bodies are less able to get rid of toxins than adults can.
To avoid exposing your baby to harmful chemicals and to have peace of mind that your baby is surrounded with safe furniture, choose the highest quality high chairs made from environmentally friendly, toxin- and chemical-free and safe materials.
How High Chairs Can Be Toxic?
First of all, let’s understand where – in what materials – harmful chemicals can be hidden.
High chairs can be made from a variety of materials – metals, wood, plastic – but they must be durable and versatile enough to function well.
Both high chairs made from plastic or wooden materials, can be toxic. How? Let us explain to you!
How Can Wooden High Chairs Be Toxic?
Wood is biodegradable and a renewable resource, so it can clearly be a great choice if you have environmental concerns.
However wooden high chairs may be toxic when they are finished with paints and stains that contain toxins like heavy metals (lead, cadmium, cobalt, barium, etc.) which your baby could ingest or absorb through their skin.
Another risk with paint is in the amount of VOCs (Volatile Organic Compounds), or gasses emitted, that contribute to the level of toxicity. Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) can be found in many commercial and consumer products, which have negative impacts on our health and environment.
What To Look For In A Non-Toxic Wooden High Chair?
When buying a wooden baby high chair, pay attention to the following characteristics:
- Solid Wood. Solid wood furniture is made from a single piece of wood, while pressed woods are made by gluing wood sawdust and particles together. The glues used in pressed woods can contain formaldehyde and other off-gassing ingredients, which are not safe for your baby’s body and your indoor air quality overall.
- Untreated Wood. Treated wood is filled with chemicals and could also expose your baby to pesticides, so chemical-free untreated wood is a much better choice.
- Natural wood finishes. Widely, manufacturers use finishes for their wood high chairs to prevent drying, cracking, swelling, or just general deterioration. Try to choose baby furniture that is made with unfinished wood or made by using natural and chemical-free finishes like linseed oil (also called flaxseed oil), tung oil, walnut oil, beeswax, carnauba wax, and soy wax.
- Unpainted Wood. As written above, common paints and stains can be highly toxic due to heavy metals and the amount of VOCs. Try to avoid any paints on your baby’s high chair. If you want a colorful high chair, choose one that was finished with healthier, greener water-based paints instead of old-fashioned oil paints.
How Can High Chairs Made With Plastic Be Toxic?
Most high chairs are made of conventional plastic which can be loaded with toxic chemicals that can harm your baby’s health.
Here is a list of toxins which can be found in the common plastic parts of a high chair:
1. BPA (Bisphenol A). This most famous toxic chemical in plastics causes hormone disruption and research suggests it can also cause behavioral and nervous system problems in children and babies .
2. Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC). This is a commonly used polymer which releases cancer-causing dioxins into the environment when it is produced or destroyed. It also often contains phthalates and lead.
PVC is linked to developmental and reproductive issues (such as premature puberty, low sperm count, and undescended testes) as well as cancers, birth defects, and liver problems.
3. Phthalates. These chemicals are used to increase the durability of plastics. Babies can be exposed to phthalates by eating foods from a plastic food tray (part of a high chair), or by touching many things that contain phthalates and then putting their hands in their mouths.
More exposure to phthalates in childhood is linked to increased allergies and airway inflammation .
4. Polyurethane foam. If a high chair has a cushion or fabric, make sure to avoid polyurethane foam. It may contain toxic chemicals such as flame-retardants, formaldehyde, benzene, toluene, and surfactants.
These chemicals can release VOCs into the air which can be breathed in by your baby. Exposure can cause symptoms such as headaches, coughing, nausea, weakness, dizziness, and fatigue, and problems with inflamed mucous membranes, the heart, breathing, and allergic reactions.
If possible, always try to choose a high chair which uses natural fibers such as wool or cotton instead of polyurethane foam.
5. Flame Retardants. Some high chairs pads (often made with polyurethane foam) may contain flame retardant chemicals that are used to prevent and slow fire.
They are toxic and harmful to health, causing developmental, hormonal, and reproductive problems, issues with neurologic function, and are linked to cancer.
What Should You Look For In Non-Toxic High Chair Made With Plastic?
If you don’t like the design of wooden high chairs (which are more environmentally friendly) and are looking for the function and convenience of plastic high chairs, try going for an eco-friendly option.
If you go for a plastic high chair:
- Choose one that uses food-grade plastics (for example, polypropylene).
- Make sure it is phthalate and BPA-free – especially the food tray.
- Check if cushions or high chair fabric don’t contain any flame-retardants or PVC materials.
Factors To Consider When Choosing Non-Toxic And Eco-Friendly High Chairs
Before making your choice on the best high chair for your baby, read more about the important factors you may want to consider:
1. Safe Materials.
Choose the high chair that is made with safe and chemical-free materials, which we described in detail above.
Make sure to consider the physical safety of the high chair. It is important that the chair is stable – so if there are wheels, check that they lock in place properly. A 3 or 5-point harness system and crotch post keeps your baby secure. And don’t forget to look out for anything that could catch or pinch your baby – or yourself!
If you don’t have much space, consider a folding or portable high chair which can be attached to your dining table, or boosters that can attach to dining chairs.
4. Usage length.
Consider how long your child will be using their high chair. Some high chairs can convert and adapt as your little one grows, even into an adult-sized chair.
Nowadays there are a lot of high-quality high chairs on the market, so you can easily choose the right one that will suit your taste in design.
6. Easy to Clean.
A high chair made with removable parts and materials that can be wiped down will make cleaning so much easier.
TOP 5 Best Non-Toxic High Chairs
Here we have selected the best non-toxic and environmentally friendly high chairs for babies and toddlers. Read on to find the details of each chair and choose the one that will fit your needs.
Best Overall Non-Toxic High Chair
Tripp Trapp High Chair is non-toxic and extremely popular, highly functional wooden high chair that is made with local, sustainably sourced oak and beech wood.
The classic design of this chair will never go out of style and it fits right up next to the dining room table.
About The STOKKE Company
- Stokke is a Norwegian company, founded by Georg Stokke in 1932, globally recognized as having best-in-class products for children. Their Tripp Trapp High Chair is the most popular furniture item in Norway which was launched in 1972 and designed by Peter Opsvik.
- The company’s top priorities are safety, sustainability and supporting child development. Stokke endeavors to use materials in their products that are biodegradable and environmentally friendly.
What We Love About STOKKE Tripp Trapp Chair
- Made in Europe primarily of European beech and oak woods which are natural and non-toxic materials.
- The removable plastic tray (designed to be used only with the Stokke Baby Set) is easy to clean and is free of BPA and phthalates.
- Baby Cushion is made with no hazardous chemicals. It is made from polyester filling and certified organic cotton.
- This high-quality chair with a stable footrest is a durable one that can be used for a lifetime and grows with your baby:
- Newborn Set (from birth) comfortably puts your newborn up to the height of your table so you and your family can easily engage with your baby.
- Baby Set (from 6 months as a high chair) gives support to help your baby sit at the table and the 5-point harness system helps keep them secure.
- Chair (from child to adult) which can be used as a high chair and then converted into a regular seat to be with your little one from childhood, to teenage years, even into adulthood. It can support an adult of up to 242 lbs.
- This chair will fit just about any interior as it is available in many colors (using non-toxic, water-based paints) and in either a beech or oak wood finish.
- Extended 7-year warranty available on wooden components gives you peace of mind about the high quality of the product.
- Certified by JPMA.
Something To Keep In Mind
- Pricey. The Tripp Trapp high chair does not come with free accessories. You need to buy them separately.
Where To Buy
Best Long-Lasting Non-Toxic High Chair
Keekaroo’s high chair has a simple design which will look great with many interiors and will grow with your child up to 250 lbs.
This high chair is similar in style and function to the Tripp Trapp Chair, but it comes with all the accessories you’ll need, all at a lower price point.
About The Keekaroo Company
- Keekaroo was founded in 2001 and is located in Dolgeville, NY.
- The company specializes in manufacturing safe and useful products for children and families. Keekaroo products are safe for both – your child and the environment. They are all non-toxic, JPMA-certified, and meet strict safety standards.
- Keekaroo’s high chair is always being tested to ensure safety and quality. Their high chair contains no toxins or pollutants and doesn’t contain any harmful materials.
- Keekaroo works with physical therapists to create products that promote good posture, which will help your child be more comfortable and focused.
- Their high chairs are made in Taiwan (Keekaroo is in the process of bringing manufacturing back to the USA) and all infant inserts, cushions, café booster seats and peanut diaper changers are proudly made in New York.
What We Love About Keekaroo Height Right High Chair
- This wooden high chair includes an infant insert, wooden tray & BPA-free plastic tray cover and 3-point removable pelvic belt.
- An infant insert is available in 7 colors and the wooden base is available in 3 colors: Natural, Brown, Espresso.
- It grows with your child. This chair is adjustable to be suitable for babies from six months to adults (up to 259 lbs).
- The Height Right Chair is made from rubberwood and is finished with a standard water-based clear nitrocellulose lacquer with no pigments and no lead. This finish is environmentally friendly and less toxic.
- Infant insert and a plastic tray cover are made from safe materials and are easy to clean.
- The cushion is made without using PVC, petroleum solvents, latex, BPA, or Formamide – completely non-toxic!
- Its wide footprint design will stop the chair from tipping over even if your little one wobbles and wriggles.
- Keekaroo gives a 5 Year Warranty on their chair. If any part or component is defective within five years of the date of purchase, they will ensure the part is repaired or replaced.
- This wooden high chair is JPMA certified to the highest ASTM standards.
Something To Keep In Mind
- Keekaroo chair doesn’t fold to store.
Where To Buy
Best Design Non-Toxic High Chair
Nomi’s high chair is a stylish, modern, and uniquely designed chair that is made using environmentally responsible components in Europe.
Created with respect and love to the surrounding world by Scandinavian designer Peter Opsvik, this high chair is the most awarded high chair in Europe for its safety and comfort.
About The Evomove Company
- Evomove is a Danish company where safety is the top priority. This company specializes in manufacturing only Nomi Chairs.
- Evomove is very responsible for its products by conducting many laboratory tests for safety. Their own safety standards exceed national requirements and they test continuously to ensure they are up to date with the latest standards.
- Nomi High Chairs are made by Evomove’s subsidiary in Slovakia, Europe.
What We Love About Nomi High Chair
- It grows along with your child. With the Nomi Baby raised bouncer attachment it is suitable even for your newborn and can accommodate them until adulthood (up to 300 lbs)
- The chair has a wide range of colors. It is available in 9 colors and the chair stem is available in 4 colors. The stem of this high chair is made from sustainable wood produced in Europe.
- All plastic components are made of recyclable pure plastic (polypropylene), free of BPA, phthalates, and parabens. All metal components are made with steel that is certified DIN.
- Ranked best high chair in 2018 by Stiftung Warentest in Germany. Plus it meets the latest safety standards and is JPMA-certified.
- Easy to clean. It is both sleek and lightweight and has a design that doesn’t trap food. It can also be easily hung on the edge of your table to clean underneath.
- Easy to assemble.
Something To Keep In Mind
- Expensive. But the fact that this high chair will be with you for a long period of time means that it is a good investment.
- Can’t fold to store
- Additional extras like Food Tray and Nomi Baby bouncer attachment with Cushion are bought separately. But if you want to buy all 3 items (High Chair, Tray, and Nomi Baby) together check this price on Amazon
Where To Buy
Best Minimalist Non-Toxic High Chair
Lalo’s high chair is made from non-toxic materials and sustainable beechwood with a modern, minimalist design.
This beautifully designed chair is built to grow with your child as it will easily convert into a Play Chair when your little one reaches 3 years old.
About The Lalo Company
- Lalo was founded by two dads in 2017. The company specializes in manufacturing baby products that are high quality, well-designed, thoroughly tested, and reasonably priced.
- Lalo’s “less is more” philosophy means that they bundle products together to give you better value.
- Lalo’s products meet ASTM safety certifications standards and are Prop 65 compliant. Its products are designed in New York and Scandinavia and are manufactured in a family-owned factory in China which has been producing baby goods for over seventy years.
- The company donates part of its profits to charities dealing with issues relating to education, perinatal care, and fertility.
What We Love About Lalo The High Chair
- Lalo created three tiers of purchasing options for the chair: Full Kit – comes with high chair, play legs and cushion; 2 in 1 Kit – comes with high chair and play legs; High Chair – comes with only the high chair.
- Converts into a play chair for after your child reaches 3 years old, and suitable from when babies start to sit.
- The Chair’s legs are made from FSC Certified sustainable beech wood.
- All plastic details in the high chair are made from non-toxic (free of phthalates, PVC, nitrosamine or formaldehyde) and BPA-free food-safe plastic.
- The tray is detachable and dishwasher-safe. One of the most easy-to-clean high chairs on the market!
- Lightweight, only 10 pounds, so it can be easily moved.
- Available in 5 colors (neutrals and pastels).
- Great price for such a quality product!
Something To Keep In Mind
- The cushion is water-repellent and stain-resistant. Our recommendation is to avoid any treated products.
- This chair doesn’t have the best support for very young babies.
Where To Buy
Best Affordable Non-Toxic High Chair
The PlanToys high chair is a great affordable option if you are looking for a unique bent-wood design of a chair that is made from the safest materials.
This non-toxic high chair is designed without a food tray for early learning socialization which means that your child will eat at the same table with the family.
About The PlanToys Company
- PlanToys is a Thailand-based company that was founded in 1981 with the mission to create a more sustainable world. The company uses eco-friendly materials and manufacturing methods to protect the planet.
- All PlanToys products are made from rubberwood trees that are sustainably harvested and no longer produce latex and surplus sawdust chips that are thermally reprocessed to form durable wood.
- Their products exceed required safety standards in both the US (ASTM) and Europe (EN71), and they have received multiple awards for their innovative products and design.
What We Love About PlanToys High Chair
- The high chair is fully made of wooden material, only the buckle piece is made from plastic.
- Made with two innovative materials – Rubberwood and PlanWood which are grown using no fertilizers and are totally safe for babies. Rubberwood is made from sustainably harvested rubber trees after they can no longer produce latex. PlanWood (an innovative and zero-waste material) is made out of combining wood chips and surplus sawdust using heat and grinding.
- The chair is finished with water-based, non-toxic dyes and E-Zero glue which contains no formaldehyde. It is also free of synthetic colors, chemical dyes, lead, or any heavy metals.
- Lightweight, only 11 lbs.
- Easy to use and clean.
Something To Keep In Mind
- The high chair is designed for use only for babies from 6 months to 3 years.
- Does not include food tray so your child can sit at the table with you instead.
- Available only in 2 colors.
Where To Buy
The Difference Between Our Top 5 Non-Toxic High Chairs
To summarize all the above information, we have compared the 5 Best Non-Toxic High Chairs for quick reference, so you can easily compare the materials they are made out of, weight, cost, and other parameters. This will help you to make a decision about the best high chair for your baby.
|5 Best Non-Toxic High Chairs||High Chair’s Materials||Does it grow with your baby up to adulthood?||Made in||High Chair weight:||Cost|
|STOKKE Tripp Trapp High Chair|
European beech and oak woods; water-based, non-toxic paints; the plastic tray is free of BPA and phthalates.
|Yes||Europe||17 Pounds/ 7.7 kg||$$$|
|Keekaroo Height Right High Chair||Rubber wood; Finish is a standard water-based clear nitrocellulose lacquer with no pigments and no lead; BPA-Free plastic tray.||Yes||Wooden high chairs are made in Taiwan; Infant Inserts and Cushions are proudly made in the USA.||14.5 Pounds/ 6.5 kg||$$|
|Nomi High Chair|
Sustainable wood produced in Europe; the plastic parts are made of recyclable pure plastic (polypropylene) which is free of BPA, phthalates, and parabens.
|Yes||Europe, Slovakia||13.2 Pounds/ 6 kg||$$$$|
|Lalo The Chair|
FSC Certified sustainable beech wood; non-toxic and BPA-free food-safe plastic.
|No. The high chair can be used until 3 years old||Family-owned factory in China||10 Pounds/ 4.5 kg||$$|
|PlanToys High Chair|
Made with a blend of PlanWood and Rubberwood; finished with E-Zero non-formaldehyde glue and non-toxic water-based dyes.
|No. The high chair can be used until 3 years old||Thailand||11 Pounds/ 5 kg||$|
High Chair Safety Tips
Your baby’s high chair should be a safe place for your baby. The American Academy of Pediatrics gives some Quick High Chair Safety Tips , that will help you and your baby not be involved in scary incidents.
When using a high chair, remember to:
- Check that it is stable and can’t be tipped over easily.
- If you have a foldable chair, make sure it is locked each time you use it.
- Never let your child stand in their high chair. Always use all the safety straps or harnesses so that your child does not slip or fall out.
- Don’t put the high chair next to a table or countertop so your child cannot push against them and risk tipping the chair over.
- Always supervise young children in a high chair, and don’t let older children climb or play on the chair.
- A freestanding high chair is safer than one that clips onto the table. If you have to use this type of chair, make sure the table can support your child’s weight and that your child cannot push against the table and dislodge the high chair seat.
Some materials used in common high chairs contain toxins such as BPA, PVC, and phthalates. These leak into the surroundings and the air which your child can then come into contact with. Over time, exposure to these toxins can cause health issues for your little one.
Luckily though, more and more companies are making high chairs which use only non-toxic materials. To simplify your life, we shared with you all the necessary information about every non-toxic high chair on our list.
Now you only need to choose the best one that will fit to your requirements without exposing your children to toxins.
Readers Favorite Posts: 11 Best Non Toxic Cribs For Babies 6 Best Non-Toxic Beds For Toddlers and Kids 5 Best Non-Toxic Car Seats Without Flame Retardants For Infants 5 Best Non-Toxic Convertible Car Seats Without Flame Retardants 5 Best Goat Milk Formulas For Babies And Toddlers 5 Best Organic European Baby Formula Brands 10 Best Non-Toxic Diapers For Babies And Toddlers 11 Toxic (Harmful) Ingredients To Avoid In Baby Products