Our Pick For 5 Best Non-Toxic Play Mats
- Best Overall: Wunderkids ALZiP Silion Mat
- Safe, non-toxic, stylish, comfortable play mat that is made with children’s health in mind.
- Best Natural: Toki Mats
- Non-toxic, stylish and comfortable Toki Mats are made of totally safe, natural, kid-friendly, and high-quality materials.
- Best For Child Development: Wee Gallery Safari Play Mat
- Modern black and white animal themed high-contrast baby play mat, made only from high quality and non-toxic materials: organic cotton muslin and OEKO-TEX polyester padding.
- Best Value: CreamHaus Folding Play Mat
- Beautiful and large CreamHaus play mat is OEKO-TEX certified and free of harmful chemicals.
- Best Play Mat With Removable Activity Gym: The Play Gym by Lovevery
- The most popular baby play gym is made with the safest materials and can be used as a play mat from age 0+.
- Why Should You Choose A Non-Toxic Baby Play Mat For Your Little One?
- What Chemicals Should You Avoid In Play Mats?
- What To Look For When Buying A Non-Toxic Play Mat
- Types of Play Mats
- Top 5 Non-Toxic Baby Play Mats
- The Differences Between Our Top 5 Non-Toxic Baby Play Mats
- How To Clean A Baby Or Toddler Play Mat
- Frequently Asked Questions On Non-Toxic Play Mats
- Bottom Line
Purchasing a baby play mat is about more than finding the cutest one with all the bells and whistles. Did you know that some baby play mats contain harmful ingredients that can adversely affect your little one?
We have a lineup of the best non-toxic baby play mats and a guide to help you pick the best one for your needs.
Why Should You Choose A Non-Toxic Baby Play Mat For Your Little One?
Non-toxic play mats don’t have the harmful substances that are in other play mats. This makes them safer for your baby. Non-toxic play mats won’t cause adverse health problems in your children.
Some toxic ingredients in baby products can affect a baby’s developmental milestones. Speech, hearing, and reading are examples of developmental milestones. Choosing a truly non-toxic play mat ensures your baby is safe and will reach their milestones.
What Chemicals Should You Avoid In Play Mats?
Certain chemicals in standard baby play mats could harm your little one. Check the labels on the play mats to ensure they’re free of chemicals and other toxins.
Here are some examples of chemicals that you should avoid in play mats:
- BPA and BPS
- EVA foam
- Flame retardants
- Other volatile organic compounds
BPA and BPS
BPA stands for Bisphenol A, while BPS stands for Bisphenol S .
Both toxic chemicals are in many products, including baby play mats and toys.
BPS causes hormone disruption in humans of all ages. BPA can be deadly to healthy brain functioning with continuous exposure. It can also cause behavioral issues in boys and girls. A young boy exposed to BPA may experience prostate problems later down the line.
With all of these potential issues, the less exposure to BPA and BPS, the better!
While manufacturers usually state that EVA foam is non-toxic, it secretes a gas called formamide. Formamide is nitrogen that could harm reproductive organs.
If a pregnant woman is exposed to formamide, her child is at risk of developmental disabilities.
You can protect your baby’s future reproductive health by steering clear of play mats that contain EVA foam.
Baby play mats have flame retardants to meet safety standards for children . But constant exposure to flame retardants can affect your baby’s endocrine system.
High exposure to flame retardants can cause ADHD and hyperactivity. If there is exposure to flame retardants while in the womb, a child may encounter reading challenges as they get older.
Polyurethane foam is a flame retardant that can cause kidney and liver problems in humans.
Formaldehyde can be found in baby play mats and other baby products, such as shampoos . This ingredient is a known carcinogen that causes cancer in people of all ages.
You may see ingredients in your baby’s items, such as polyoxymethylene urea, which indicate the presence of formaldehyde.
Make sure that the baby play mat you purchase doesn’t contain lead. Repeated exposure to lead can :
- Hinder a baby’s development
- Harm the brain
- Cause speech or hearing issues
- Trigger behavioral issues
Phthalates could be inside the toys attached to a baby play mat. They are used to make the plastic last longer.
Phthalate exposure can affect animals’ reproductive systems . But scientists need to conduct more testing to conclude that phthalates affect humans. However, with these findings on reproductive harm to animals, it’s safer to buy a play mat without them.
Other Volatile Organic Compounds
Other ingredients found in baby play mats can include volatile organic compounds . These should be avoided where possible.
These compounds are ten times more concentrated inside your home than what you’re exposed to while outdoors. Any of your baby’s play mats or toys that contain volatile organic compounds could cause them a variety of health issues.
What To Look For When Buying A Non-Toxic Play Mat
When looking to buy a non-toxic baby play mat, you want your little ones to be safe while playing in their environment. The play mat they sit on could very well be harming them without you realizing it.
Here are the key features you should look for when buying a non-toxic play mat.
Made Of Organic Cotton
Organic cotton is only made from non-GMO sources. This means that no pesticides or other harmful chemicals get applied to the cotton during the growing process.
A non-toxic baby play mat made of organic cotton is safer for a baby’s skin because it doesn’t get treated with chemicals while growing. Farmers have to undergo more labor to care for organic cotton so that it grows properly.
You can keep your baby happier and healthier by using a product with organic cotton to ensure that it doesn’t contain traces of pesticides or other harmful chemicals.
If you smell a strong odor on a play mat you’re considering purchasing, it may be made with toxic materials.
Always give the play mat a good sniff before purchasing it if you’re inside a physical store. If you’re buying online, be sure to check the ingredients on the product label.
A government-certified non-toxic baby play mat is tested for:
For a play mat to be designated as a government-certified product, it must contain little to no toxins at all.
Each product that is made for children ages 12 and under must be tested via the Consumer Product Safety Commission. This commission tests the products based on parameters laid out for ingredient limits and quality standards.
However, the organization allows a minimum amount of toxins in some baby products to pass the certification. So it’s still best to find a play mat completely free of toxins as this is best for your baby’s health.
Free Of Toxins
As outlined in the section above, toxins can be harmful to your little bundle of joy. Always look out for toxins, such as:
- Volatile organic compounds
A toxin-free play mat will allow your baby or toddler to play freely. With a safe play mat you won’t have to worry about how the ingredients could interfere with your baby’s health. Especially since babies like to explore with their mouths and hands.
Having your baby play on a toxin-free surface means less worry for you.
Before finalizing your non-toxic baby play mat purchase, make sure there is no recall on it. The United States Consumer Product Safety Commission has a recalled product list that is valid nationwide. You can look up the product name, manufacturing location, the type of hazard, and the product category.
Types Of Play Mats
There are many types of play mats available on the market for your baby to enjoy. Each has its designated purpose, while a couple of them can be multi-purpose.
Activity gyms have a variety of activities available for your baby to explore their new world. There could be a canopy of hanging toys above them as they lay down. They often have themes that include forest animals, sea animals, planets, and other fun objects.
Other attachments to an activity gym may include:
- A mirror
- Crinkly toys for touching during tummy time
- Noisy toys
- Interactive blocks
- Rings to move around
Interlocking-Style Foam Mats
Some foam mats may come with interlocking pieces to customize the play area to the size you want. This versatility is a great option. It allows you to adjust the play mat to suit your home and your child’s needs. You can make it as big or as small as you like.
Puzzle mats are much like interlocking-style foam mats. However, the foam play mat stays together while small pieces of the puzzle pop out. This is a great option if you’re looking for an interactive play mat.
For example, there are puzzle mats with the ABCs and 123s. The puzzle pieces then would be each letter of the alphabet or each number leading up to 10 or 20.
When your baby or toddler is not playing with the puzzle mat, he or she can do tummy time, play with other toys, or do another activity of their choice while sitting on the play mat.
Roll-up mats can be made of foam or another material that folds up. This feature makes it great for storage purposes. Specifically roll-up baby play mats are made with vertical creases to help you fold the mat and store it away when it’s not in use.
Tummy Time Mats
Any mat can be transformed into a tummy time mat. However, a specially made tummy time mat may feature a U-shaped pillow to prop the baby up so they can practice head control.
Some tummy time mats even include plastic rings or crinkly objects. This allows the baby to feel and interact with the objects to stimulate their brain.
Top 5 Non-Toxic Baby Play Mats
Here is our list of the safest non-toxic baby play mats that you might want to consider for your little one.
1. Wunderkids ALZiP Silion Mat
The ALZiP Silion Mat is a great choice for a safe, non-toxic, stylish, and comfortable play mat for your baby. This baby mat is made with children’s health in mind and will promote their healthy development.
This play mat was our personal choice and we are really happy with the quality of it. It is very well made and has no unpleasant odor. Also the silicon layer makes it safer as it’s not slippery. Our daughter loves to play on it and jump between all 4 colors.
About Wunderkids Company
- Wunderkids was founded in 2017 by Kate and Matt, parents of 2 beautiful boys. Their company is the exclusive distributor of ALZiP products in Canada and an authorized distributor in the US.
- ALZiP mat is the frontier of folding babymats. It started business as a PU leather manufacturer over 30 years ago in Korea. With their innovative technology, they developed amazing quality PU leathers. Soon after, they started making folding type babymats with their premium PU leather, becoming the manufacturer of beloved baby play mats among families all over the world. They still manufacture all their materials and assemble the products in-house to the highest standard. ALZiP mat was the first Eco-label certified play mat manufacturer in Korea.
- Currently, the Wunderkids company is serving their local community by providing their products to those who are in need. They work with Autism BC, giving away their play mats. The company also is joining the One Tree Planted project from the next quarter.
- Wunderkids offers 3 types of Baby Play Mats (Eco Color Folder, Silion Mat, and Deluxe Folder) plus a babyproofing fence for their play mats, called Babyroom.
- All ALZiP play mats are made in South Korea. All the raw materials are sourced locally in Korea. Every process of the manufacturing is done in-house by ALZiP. No processes are outsourced. Please watch this video for their manufacturing process.
What We Love About Wunderkids ALZiP Silion Mat
- All ALZiP mats are made only with safe and non-toxic materials. These play mats are free from flame retardants, phthalates, PVC, EVA, TPA, BPA, formamide, formaldehyde, and other VOCs. The Wunderkids company disclosed all safety documents on their website for anyone to review easily. You can find them on every product page under product details.
- Its outer surface is made with FDA-compliant, food-grade, premium, ultra-soft polyurethane leather that is proven to be hypoallergenic and non-toxic. ALZiP Silion Mat (Upgraded Model) is additionally coated with a silicone layer. We like it because your little one will be in direct contact only with the safest material, as silicone is considered safe for humans and the environment. Also, this additional layer will prevent the baby mat from sliding easily and slipping around.
- Its inner foam is made with 9 layers of premium, eco-label certified non-toxic polyethylene foam. Please watch this video to see how the inner foams are constructed. The 9 layers of inner foam are attached using only heat to avoid any toxicity from using chemical adhesives. These multiple layers of foam will maximize comfort by reducing the pressure on ankles and wrists when your baby practices their motor skills.
- Really large size. The play mat’s size is 95 x 55 x1.6 inch (240 x 140 x 4cm) and its weight is 16.5 lbs (7.5 kg). This play mat perfectly fits the ALZiP Babyroom (baby proofing fence).
- Highly durable, with a stain and water-resistant cover, this play mat will last for years.
Something To Keep In Mind
- For some types of play mats, you will need to wait on the waitlist for a few weeks as it is extremely difficult to move inventory from Korea to the US and Canada due to COVID-19. Some best-selling items even sell out before they arrive. The company gives priority to the customers who are on the waitlist.
Where To Buy
2. Toki Mats
Comfortable and stylish, Toki Mats are made of totally safe, natural, kid-friendly, and high-quality materials.
The mega-size play mat is a great surface for your child to develop on and grow healthily.
About Toki Mats Company
- Toki Mats manufactures play mats for children that are both safe and stylish. The company was founded in 2017 by Eli Yonas, a mom who was looking for a better option for her own kids. She spent many hours finding the best materials and designs to create the perfect baby play mats.
- Toki Mats products are assembled in California, USA from materials that come from India, Sri Lanka, and China.
What We Love About Toki Organic Mega Play Mat
- All Toki play mats are certified and free of phthalates, PVC, and lead.
- This play mat is made only with the safest materials. Its inner foam is made from 1-inch thick GOLS-certified organic natural latex from rubber tree sap. Latex foam is 100% natural, untreated with flame retardants, antibacterial, biodegradable, and non-allergenic. The play mat cover is made of 100% certified organic cotton fabric.
- Farmer’s Market Organic Mega Play Mat measures 55” x 55” x 1” (140 x 140 x 2.5 cm). This larger size of play mat will give your baby a lot of safe and clean space to play and crawl around on.
- There are many different colors and prints available for the Toki Mega play mat. Also, there is an option to buy a mega play mat with a waterproof cover which is made with 100% bamboo jersey fabric and is OEKO-TEX certified.
Something To Keep In Mind
- If your child has an allergy to latex, this play mat is not for them.
Where To Buy
3. Wee Gallery Safari Play Mat
Best For Child Development
The Wee Gallery Safari Play Mat is a great choice for your baby as it is made ethically in India from high quality materials: organic cotton muslin and OEKO-TEX certified polyester padding.
This modern black and white animal themed high-contrast baby play mat will keep your little one interested and stimulated while also being super soft and cozy.
About Wee Gallery Company
- The company was founded by Dave Pinto (a teacher who was fascinated by the idea of helping babies’ brains develop by literally playing with visuals) and Surya Sajnani (a graphic designer) after their son was born in 2002.
- The Wee Gallery baby play mats are made in India.
What We Love About Wee Gallery Safari Play Mat
- Wee Gallery Safari play mat is made with safe materials, using organic traditional fabrics: organic cotton muslin and OEKO-TEX certified polyester filling.
- This beautiful round baby play mat measures 40 inches in diameter to create an ideal area for your child to play.
Where To Buy
4. CreamHaus Folding Play Mat
Another great play mat from South Korea is the CreamHaus Folding Play Mat.
This beautiful and large play mat is OEKO-TEX certified and free of harmful chemicals.
About CreamHaus USA Company
- The company was founded by a father, Brian Koh, who wanted his daughter to be surrounded by safe and non-toxic products.
- CreamHaus USA specializes in selling non-toxic, safe, and premium baby play mats that are OEKO-TEX certified and free of harmful chemicals.
- CreamHaus play mats are made in South Korea.
What We Love About CreamHaus Folding Play Mat
- All CreamHaus play mats are certified to meet the OEKO-TEX Standard 100, Class 1. This means that all its materials have been tested for the presence of hazardous substances and harmful chemicals, and have been found to be safe for use around babies. Choosing a product made with OEKO-TEX certified materials gives parents peace of mind that their baby is surrounded by safe, chemical-free materials.
- These play mats are free of flame retardants, phthalates, PVC, EVA, TPA, BPA, lead, formamide, formaldehyde, and other VOCs.
- The mat’s outer surface has a water-resistant cover made of polyurethane leather. This means that it is easy to clean the surface using baby wipes.
- The inner surface of the product is made with food grade polyethylene foam. This foam is often used for food packaging. The foam is laminated into 10 thin layers using a chemical-free adhesive method so that the optimal thickness is achieved. After use, the foam can be recycled.
- The Folding Play Mat is available in 2 sizes: 51″ x 79″ x 1.6″ (130cm x 200cm x 4cm) and 51″ x 102″ x 1.6″ (130cm x 260cm x 4cm), and in 2 colors: Blue/Cream and Gray/Cream.
Where To Buy
5. The Play Gym by Lovevery
Best Play Mat With Removable Activity Gym
Lovevery is a popular company among parents that makes exciting baby play gyms.
The Play Gym by Lovevery is made with safe materials and can be used as a play mat from ages 0+.
About Lovevery Company
- The company was founded by Jessica Rolph and Roderick Morris in 2015. Lovevery’s play products are designed by child development experts and have won awards from TIME Magazine, Fast Company, Red Dot, and Parents’ Choice.
- The Play Gym is designed in the U.S. and made in China.
What We Love About The Play Gym by Lovevery
- The Lovevery play gym is made with materials that are safe for babies. All of its materials meet safety standards for children and are confirmed by top independent labs.
- The play gym is free of common toxins: flame retardants, PVC, phthalates, and BPA.
- It is made of 5 different development play zones: exploring colors, making sounds, learning to focus, how things feel, and hiding and finding. Each zone can be open or closed to allow your child to focus on one area at a time without becoming overwhelmed.
- The play mat is large, so your little one will have plenty of space to crawl and play.
Something To Keep In Mind
- The Baby Play Mat is made with machine-washable polyester materials, but it’s been tested to ensure it is non-toxic and baby-safe.
Where To Buy
The Differences Between Our Top 5 Non-Toxic Baby Play Mats
To summarize all the above information, we have compared the 5 Best Non-Toxic Baby Play Mats for quick reference, so you can easily compare their size, cost, and other parameters. This will help you to make a decision about the best baby play mat for your baby.
|5 Best Non-Toxic Baby Play Mats||Size||Made in||Cost|
|Wunderkids ALZiP Silion Mat||95″ x 55″ x 1.6″ (240 x 140 x 4 cm)||South Korea||$$$$|
|Toki Mats||55” x 55” x 1” (140 x 140 x 2.5 cm)||California, USA||$$$|
|Wee Gallery Safari Play Mat||diameter 40″ (101.6 cm)||India||$|
|CreamHaus Folding Play Mat||51″ x 79″ x 1.6″ (130 x 200 x 4 cm)||South Korea||$$|
|The Play Gym by Lovevery||24″h x 50″w x 47″l (60.7 x 127 x 119,4 cm)||China||$|
How To Clean A Baby Or Toddler Play Mat?
Keeping your baby’s play mat clean is essential to maintaining a safe environment for your child. Your little one could spit up or something could spill on the mat. If you have other children or even pets in the house, their activities could cause germs to get on the play mat.
Here are a few ways to clean a play mat.
Some play mats can be placed into a washing machine with baby-safe detergent to wash hands-free. Check the care label and follow the instructions to maintain the longevity of the play mat.
Vinegar and Water
You can clean a foam play mat using a mixture of vinegar and water. Vinegar contains 5% acetic acid. Acetic acid helps kill off any bacteria on your baby’s play mat.
Pour a cup of water into a bowl of your choice. Then, pour in a half a cup of vinegar. Mix the solution with a spoon until combined. Dab a clean towel or a paper towel into the bowl and clean the whole surface of the play mat. Let it dry before putting it away.
Frequently Asked Questions
As you navigate the marketplace, we imagine you may have some more questions about non-toxic play mats.
Here are answers to some frequently asked questions about non-toxic play mats.
- Why do non-toxic, organic play mats cost more than standard baby play mats?
Standard mats contain cheaper materials. A more cost-effective production means the company can pass on these savings to the consumer. Saving more at checkout is not always the best for safety. These cheaper play mats may contain toxic materials that can harm your baby.
Organic play mats cost more because extra labor was involved when producing the ingredients and growing the cotton. Spending an extra few dollars on organic, non-toxic play mats will benefit you and your little one in the long run.
- What is the best type of play mat for my baby or toddler?
Watch how your baby plays. Does your baby try grabbing things within their reach? If so, a tummy time mat with toys attached to it would be great for your little one. All babies are different so pay attention to what your baby likes and get the best play mat for them.
When looking for a baby play mat, there are many things to consider. You need to ensure that it is free of harmful ingredients but you also need to choose the right play mat for your child.
Every child is different but all children deserve to have safe play mats that won’t affect their health as they get older. Choosing a safe play mat will give you peace of mind and keep your baby safe and healthy.
Readers Favorite Posts: 11 Best Non-Toxic Cribs For Babies 6 Best Non-Toxic Beds For Toddlers and Kids 5 Best Non-Toxic Car Seats Without Flame Retardants For Infants 5 Best Non-Toxic Convertible Car Seats Without Flame Retardants 5 Best Non-Toxic High Chairs For Babies And Toddlers 5 Best Goat Milk Formulas For Babies And Toddlers 5 Best Organic European Baby Formula Brands 10 Best Non-Toxic Diapers For Babies And Toddlers