Our Pick For 6 Best Non-Toxic Bouncers And Swings
- Best Baby Swing:4MOMS MamaRoo 4 Multi-Motion Baby Swing
- Electrical multi-motion baby swing. Suitable for infants from birth up to 6 months or 25 lbs.
- Best Overall Baby Bouncer:Nuna LEAF Grow Baby Seat & Rocker
- Noise-free, motor-free, gentle side-to-side motion baby bouncer. Made with only the safest materials. OEKO-TEX, GOTS, and GreenGuard Gold Certified. Suitable for kids from birth to when the child reaches 130 lbs!
- Best Lightweight Baby Bouncer:BabyBjörn BOUNCER BLISS
- Powered by your child’s own movements. Made with non-toxic materials. STANDARD 100 by OEKO-TEX and JPMA Certified. Suitable from birth to toddlers (0-2 years) who weigh between 8 lbs and 29 lbs.
- Most Stylish Baby Bouncer:Bloom Coco Lounger
- Self-rocking motion baby bouncer. Made with non-toxic materials. Suitable from birth to 25 lbs / 12 kg.
- Most Versatile Baby Bouncer:STOKKE Steps Bouncer
- A seating system that combines a bouncer with a high chair. Powered by your baby’s own movements. JPMA Certified. Designed for infants up to 6 months.
- Best Baby Bouncer With Chair Attachment:Nomi Baby Newborn Bouncer
- The bouncer only works together with the Nomi Chair. Made with environmentally responsible components and materials. JPMA certified. The Nomi Baby bouncer is suitable for infants from birth up to 6 months. After that, the chair can be transformed into a high chair and can be used up to adulthood (to 300lbs).
- Why Should You Choose A Non-Toxic Baby Swing Or Bouncer?
- What Makes Swings Or Bouncers Toxic?
- What To Look For When Buying Non-Toxic Baby Swing Or Bouncer?
- What Is The Difference Between A Swing And A Bouncer?
- Top 6 Non-Toxic Swings And Bouncers For Infants
- The Differences Between Our Top 6 Non-Toxic Baby Bouncers And Swings
- Are Bouncers And Swings Safe For Babies?
- Bouncer/Swing Safety Tips
- Bottom Line
Even though your baby may not like it, you cannot hold your newborn all day long. You will need a break at some point. That’s why it’s helpful to have a bouncer or swing around. They give babies a comfortable place to play or relax, and parents can take a break knowing their baby is safe.
When choosing a baby bouncer or swing, parents need to pay attention to its safety features, portability, longevity, and other factors. But the most important factor is the materials it is made from. Babies are more vulnerable to toxins and harmful chemicals than older children, so we need to make sure that any product we buy for them will not pose any danger to their health!
Could a baby swing or bouncer be toxic to your child? How do you choose a safe bouncer or swing for your child? Read our article to find out!
Why Should You Choose A Non-Toxic Baby Swing Or Bouncer?
A baby bouncer is a piece of baby gear designed to keep your infant safe while he/she cannot yet sit up by themselves. Baby bouncers have seats that angle backward. They are designed with full neck support and include restraints to ensure that your baby is safely situated in the seat.
You can put your baby in a bouncer or swing for a short period of time (20 min), a few times each day . As a result, your baby may spend more than an hour a day in this device, with it in contact with their skin for a prolonged period of time. Therefore it is important to choose a swing or bouncer that is made only from environmentally friendly, toxin- and chemical-free materials to avoid exposing your baby to harmful chemicals.
Babies are much more vulnerable to toxins and harmful chemicals than adults because they are smaller, their skin is more easily penetrated by toxins, their organs are still developing, and they are less able to get rid of toxins .
What Makes Swings Or Bouncers Toxic?
Some baby products are made by using chemicals that are considered harmful for humans, especially for small children.
Some manufacturers make swings and bouncers with less expensive materials (plastic, textiles) that may have the following chemicals in them:
- BPA. It is a chemical found in plastics. It can disrupt hormones and might also cause behavioral and nervous system problems in children and babies .
- Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC). This commonly used polymer releases cancer-causing dioxins into the environment when it is produced or destroyed.
- PVC often contains phthalates and lead. It has been linked to developmental and reproductive issues (such as low sperm count, premature puberty, and undescended testes), cancers, birth defects, and liver problems.
- Phthalates. These chemicals are used to make plastics more durable. Babies can be exposed to phthalates by touching things that are contaminated with these toxins and then putting their hands in their mouths.
- Exposure to more phthalates during childhood is linked with increased allergies and airway inflammation .
- Formaldehyde. It can be used in seat fabrics to reduce wrinkles and mildew, make colors last longer, and promote stain resistance.
- However, it is a harmful chemical that has been linked to cancer, allergies, asthma, and other health problems. It can irritate and burn the eyes, nose, throat, and skin.
- VOCs. Volatile Organic Compounds are a group of chemicals that “off-gas” into the air we breathe. They are invisible and some of them have no smell .
- People who’ve been poisoned by a large amount of VOCs may get damage to their central nervous system, liver, or kidneys. When some individuals are exposed to VOCs for a long period of time, they may develop cancer.
- Flame retardants. These chemicals are used to stop or slow the spread of fire . Kids can make direct skin contact with or inhale these retardants.
- There is evidence that using these chemicals can cause health problems, such as developmental problems, problems with the immune system, hormone levels, reproductive health, cancer, and neurological problems.
What To Look For When Buying Non-Toxic Baby Swing Or Bouncer?
Here are some things you will want to consider when looking for a non-toxic baby bouncer or swing:
- Safe Materials. Make sure the bouncer is made without the toxic chemicals written above. It’s best to choose one that has GreenGuard Gold, OEKO-TEX, and GOTS Certifications.
- Safety Features. Every swing or bouncer has different safety features. The most important is that the bouncer has sturdy construction with no pinch points or sharp edges, and the seat is securely fastened to the frame.
- Portability. If you do not have enough space in your room, look for a bouncer or swing that is able to be moved around easily (light and easy to carry).
- Longevity. If you want to buy a baby bouncer that can be used for a long time, look for one with a high weight limit. That way, it can be used as a baby bouncer and as a toddler chair.
- Easy to clean.
What Is The Difference Between A Swing And A Bouncer?
Let’s talk about the difference between a naturally rocking baby bouncer and an electric baby swing.
Bouncers are low to the ground and their rocking motions are caused by the natural movement of your baby. Compared to an electronically powered baby swing, baby bouncers are lightweight and more portable.
Swings tend to be heavier and bulkier than bouncers and are mechanically powered (requiring batteries or a power outlet). Many swings have different speed settings and rock your baby side to side, back and forth, or a combination of both. Some swings may have features like vibrations, sound, and may also have a tray and toys.
Bouncers and swings both offer fun for babies while imitating a rocking movement. The main differences between bouncers and swings are the way they move, where the movement comes from (source of movement), and how portable they are.
Top 6 Non-Toxic Swings And Bouncers For Infants
Here is our list of the safest baby swings and bouncers that you might want to consider for your little one.
Best Baby Swing
A multi-motion MamaRoo baby swing moves like parents do when comforting their baby. The natural swaying motions bounce up and down and sway from side to side to relax, soothe, or entertain your baby.
MamaRoo is made with safe materials without using harmful flame retardants.
About 4MOMS Company
- Thorley Industries, LLC (4moms) is a company that manufactures technology-enabled baby gear. Their goal is to create high-quality products for children.
- Henry Thorne and Robert Daley founded this company in 2005 and it is headquartered in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA.
- All 4MOMS products meet the regulations and laws established and enforced by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) and their regulatory counterparts around the world. The company also uses an independent, internationally accredited testing lab to test its products regularly throughout their life cycle to ensure that new parents feel safe, secure, and confident with their products.
- 4MOMS MamaRoo 4 Multi-Motion Baby Swing is made in China.
What We Love About MamaRoo4 Multi-Motion Baby Swing
- The MamaRoo baby swing is available in three different types of fabric: plush seat fabrics (a polyester micro-fleece), classic seat fabrics (a polyester oxford), and cool mesh seat fabric (more breathable material). It’s all fabrics comply with flammability standards, so there is no need to add flame retardants.
- 4moms also sells a newborn insert to support and comfort your newborn. This insert perfectly fits MamaRoo and RockaRoo multi-motion baby swings.
- The seat of the MamaRoo swing can be reclined in multiple positions. This lets the baby lie back and relax or sit up and play.
- This baby swing is unique because it has high-tech features. You can control its motions, sounds, and swaying speed using a phone app and Bluetooth! There are 5 different motions and 5 speeds to choose from, and 4 built-in sounds you can play. Plus, there’s an MP3 plugin feature so you can play your own songs and sounds.
- This swing also includes a mobile with toy balls that float above your baby’s head. This rattle, mirror, and crinkle ball are designed to promote cognitive development and hand-eye coordination in infants.
Something To Keep In Mind
- This electrical baby swing is heavy and not portable. We have the previous model of this swing and it was not easy to move it from room to room.
- The age/weight limits are 6 months/25lbs.
- Some parents find this seat expensive for the short amount of time it can be used.
Where To Buy
Best Overall Baby Bouncer
The Nuna LEAF Grow baby bouncer is an elegant, stylish, and non-toxic product that is made with only the safest materials. It is certified by OEKO-TEX, GOTS, and GreenGuard Gold.
This long-term, motor-free, and noise-free baby seat will calm and relax your baby with a smooth and rhythmic gentle side-to-side motion.
About Nuna Company
- Nuna is a Dutch brand of baby gear products that was founded in 2007. They emphasize eco-friendly and responsible design.
- The company specializes in making eco-friendly, high-quality baby gear like car seats, strollers, travel and in-home gear. They use materials that comply with US federal and European chemical safety standards.
- Nuna’s baby gear is extensively tested with advanced methods and equipment. They also have their products regularly tested at accredited, independent labs. This means they go above and beyond when it comes to safety compliance and ensuring high quality.
- Nuna’s products are made in a factory in China that meets ISO-14001 standards. This means they work to reduce the amount of waste that is created during the manufacturing process. This is done by using solar power, recycling, and treating water.
What We Love About Nuna LEAF Grow Baby Seat & Rocker
- Nuna Leaf Grow baby bouncer is certified to be free from toxic chemicals, meaning it’s a safer and healthier choice.
- Its organic removable insert is made with GOTS Certified and STANDARD 100 by OEKO-TEX Certified (free of harmful substances) supersoft fabric.
- This baby bouncer is also certified by GREENGUARD Gold. This means that it has been screened for over 10,000 chemicals and Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) to help improve indoor air quality and keep your baby safer.
- The bouncer grows with your baby. It can be used from birth to when the child reaches 130 lbs!
- The seat has three different recline positions. You can also lock it in a stationary position for when you are feeding or playing with your child. Once your child can sit up and climb out of the seat, you can move the chair to the stage two position.
- The seat’s fabric is easy to wash and also wipes down.
- With the purchase of the bouncer, the toy bar comes with plush toys to make it more fun for babies.
Something To Keep In Mind
- The seat motion lasts only for two minutes so the chair needs repeated attention from parents.
- Not ideal for smaller spaces. Quite heavy (15.4lbs) and bulky in shape. But thanks to its bulky and sturdy design you can relax knowing your baby will not fall out nor will the seat topple over.
Where To Buy
Best Lightweight Baby Bouncer
One of the most trusted Swedish brands, BabyBjörn, teamed up with doctors who specialize in pediatric orthopedics to create the most lightweight, comfortable, and safest baby bouncer!
This non-toxic bouncer is a bestseller because parents trust the high-quality materials used, as well as its fair price.
About BabyBjörn Brand
- BabyBjörn is a Swedish, family-owned company specializing in making baby bouncers, carriers, and sleep, kitchen, and bathroom products.
- The company was founded in 1961 by Björn Jakobson with safety as their top priority. They have a lot of experience and go above and beyond safety standards so that parents can use their products with confidence.
- BabyBjörn bouncers are made in Sweden.
What We Love About BabyBjörn BOUNCER BLISS
- All BabyBjörn bouncer fabrics meet the requirements of OEKO-TEX Standard 100, Class 1. This means that they’re tested for more than 350 harmful substances to keep your baby safe and be gentle on their skin.
- The bouncer is available in 3 fabrics: quilted cotton, 3D jersey (80% polyester, 16% cotton and 4% elastane), and quick-drying 3D mesh (100% polyester). All fabric options are removable and can be machine-washed, making it easy to clean and care for.
- This chair has various color options that will look great in any home. The colors are subtle, so they will blend well with any furniture you have.
- This baby bouncer is powered by your child’s own movements. It is designed for newborns until toddlers (0-2 years) who weigh between 8 lbs and 29 lbs. It can be converted into a chair once your child is old enough.
- The BabyBjorn bouncers are some of the lightest bouncers on the market. They weigh only 4.6 lbs/2.1 kg! This feature makes them easy to carry around your house and great for travel.
- This chair can be used in three different positions for play, and it also folds up for easy transport.
- Also, there is an option to buy a TOY for your bouncer. If you want to make your bouncer even more fun for your infant, consider adding the Wooden Toy attachment. This will keep your child entertained and help with their cognitive and motor development!
- All BabyBjörn bouncers are JPMA Certified and comply with the US ASTM F2167 and the ASTM F2613 safety standards.
Something To Keep In Mind
- Toy attachment needs to be bought separately.
- The swing’s movements can’t be automated.
Where To Buy
Most Stylish Baby Bouncer
If you want a stylish and safe baby bouncer, the Bloom Coco Lounger is the best choice! This modern baby bouncer is made with non-toxic materials and is super effective at calming babies down.
About The Bloom Company
- The Bloom Company was founded in 2008 by four dads. It is an Australian company that has regional headquarters in New York, Hong Kong, and London.
- This company specializes in the manufacture of luxury baby furniture and gear. Their products are distributed in more than 50 countries.
- The company believes that babies and their families should have high-quality, modern products. Bloom’s products are developed with style, sustainability, and safety in mind.
- Bloom Coco Lounger is made in Europe.
What We Love About Bloom Coco Lounger
- Coco Bloom Lounger is a truly safe and non-toxic baby chair. The bouncer is free of flame retardants, formaldehyde, lead, BPA, phthalates and PVC. It is also made with low VOC baby-safe finishes, adhesives-free, and is MDF-free.
- The lounger’s frame is made from a single piece of Baltic birch wood with a plush cotton seat pad with polyester rear lining.
- It is suitable from birth up to 25 lbs/12 kg. If you want to have an extra head support for your newborn, universal bloom snug (sold separately) is a great addition to the bouncer.
Something To Keep In Mind
- Cannot be folded flat so it is unsuited for small spaces or travel.
- The seat height is not adjustable.
Where To Buy
Most Versatile Baby Bouncer
The Stokke Steps Bouncer is a comfortable, high-quality seating system that combines a bouncer with a high chair. It clips easily into the Stokke Steps chair or may be used alone on the floor.
The bouncer is designed to grow with your child and has multiple seating positions, making it more versatile for various life stages.
About STOKKE Company
- Stokke is a Norwegian company that was founded by Georg Stokke in 1932. It is globally recognized for having the best products for children.
- The company’s top priorities are safety, sustainability, and supporting child development. They endeavor to use materials that are biodegradable and environmentally friendly in all their products.
- They manufacture the STOKKE Steps Bouncer in the Netherlands, Europe.
What We Love About STOKKE Steps Bouncer
- The Stokke Steps Bouncer is made with safe and high-quality materials. All Stokke baby products are free of lead and other heavy metals, PFCs, phthalates, polyvinyl chloride (PVC), formaldehyde, and other harmful chemicals.
- The Stokke bouncers were designed with a Pediatric Physiotherapist to ensure that babies are well-supported while using it. They are certified by JPMA to meet or exceed all ASTM safety standards.
- The chair features a large and comfortable padded seat that can be moved into four different positions. The most reclined position is very comfortable for newborns. The seat also comes with a newborn insert so that even the smallest babies can be snuggled in safely.
- The greatest feature of this seat is that it can be used together with the Stokke Steps high chair (sold separately). If you click this bouncer seat onto the Stokke chair frame, it becomes an elevated bouncer which is helpful for moms whose back needs a break or for moms who have had C-sections.
- Stokke bouncer also includes a five-point safety harness, shoulder pads for comfort, and a detachable toy hanger (toy not included) to keep your child entertained and to promote motor skills.
- Its base is sturdy and durable to prevent the bouncer from sliding.
- The bouncer folds down totally flat for easy storage and transport.
Something To Keep In Mind
- The bouncer is easily outgrown as it is only designed for babies up to 6 months.
- The safety buckle can be finicky to properly buckle each time.
Where To Buy
Best Baby Bouncer With Chair Attachment
Nomi Baby Bouncer (an attachment for the Nomi Chair) is designed to provide your newborn with a cozy little nest at the center of the family. The bouncer’s raised height is perfect for keeping good eye contact with your little one!
It is perfect for newborns as for the first 8-10 weeks they can lay in the bouncer in a horizontal position, and as your baby grows it can be moved to an upright position.
About The Evomove Company
- Evomove is a Danish company where safety is the top priority. They specialize in manufacturing only Nomi Chairs, their attachments, and accessories.
- Evomove responsibly conducts many laboratory tests to ensure the safety of its products. Their own safety standards exceed national requirements and they test continuously to ensure they are up to date with the latest standards.
- Nomi Baby, its high chairs, and its attachments are made by Evomove’s subsidiary in Slovakia, Europe.
What We Love About Nomi Baby Newborn Bouncer
- The Nomi Baby Bouncer is made of environmentally responsible components and materials. Its plastic components are made of BPA-free, phthalate-free, and paraben-free recyclable polypropylene. Its metal components are made with DIN-certified steel. The high chair’s stem is made from sustainable European wood.
- It is tested and approved according to the latest US, Canadian, and European Safety Standards. It is JPMA certified.
- The bouncer seat is available in 5 different colors. The high chair is available in 9 colors. You can easily choose one that fits your home interior.
- It grows with your child. After your child outgrows the bouncer, the chair can be transformed into a high chair that can be used until their adulthood (up to 300 lbs).
Something To Keep In Mind
- You cannot use the Nomi Baby bouncer without a Nomi Chair (sold separately). The bouncer only works with the chair.
- Can’t fold to store
- The age limit for this bouncer is 6 months.
Where To Buy
The Differences Between Our Top 6 Non-Toxic Baby Bouncers And Swings
To summarize all the information above, we have compared the 6 Best Non-Toxic Baby Bouncers and Swings for quick reference, so you can easily compare their weight, power source, safety & security features, certifications, and other parameters. This will help you to make a decision about the best baby swing or bouncer for your infant.
|6 Best Non-Toxic Baby Bouncers And Swings||Certifications||Weight||Power Source||Age Or Weight Limit||Safety And Security Features||Made In||Cost|
|4MOMS MamaRoo 4 Multi-Motion Baby Swing||–||19 lbs / 8.6 kg||Electric||0 – 6 months||3-Point Harness||China||$$|
|Nuna LEAF Grow Baby Seat & Rocker||OEKO-TEX, GOTS, and GreenGuard Gold Certified||15.40 lbs / 7 kg||Motor-free ride||0 – big kid||3-Point Harness||China||$$$|
|BabyBjörn BOUNCER BLISS||OEKO-TEX and JPMA Certified||4.6 lbs / 2.1 kg||Powered by your baby’s own movements||0 – 2 years||3-Point Harness||Sweden||$|
|Bloom Coco Lounger||–||15.5 lbs / 7 kg||Self-rocking motion||Newborn to 25 lbs /12 kg||5-Point Harness||Europe||$$|
|STOKKE Steps Bouncer||JPMA Certified||8.2 lbs / 3.74 kg||Powered by your baby’s own movements||0 – 6 months||5-Point Harness||Netherlands, Europe||$|
|Nomi Baby Newborn Bouncer||JPMA Certified||~ 18 lbs / 8 kg||Powered by your baby’s own movements||0 – 6 months||5-Point Harness||Slovakia, Europe||$|
Are Bouncers And Swings Safe For Babies?
Bouncers or swings are not an essential item, but they can provide entertainment for the baby when mom or dad does things around the house while the baby is awake. The child can be nearby under constant supervision in a comfortable rocking chair and play with toys.
Swings can soothe a fussy baby by having a calming effect. However, if you use a swing incorrectly, it can be dangerous for the baby. In fact, many people use them in a way that is unsafe.
Baby bouncers are safe when parents follow all safety recommendations. CPSC recommends the following tips for parents when using a bouncer or swing for their baby .
Bouncer/Swing Safety Tips
- Never use a swing or bouncer on a raised surface (e.g. table). Only use it on the floor. Check that the bouncer has a broad and stable base so there is no risk of it tipping over.
- Never use a bouncer on a sofa, bed, or other soft surfaces. If the bouncer were to tip over, your baby could suffocate.
- Always use the bouncer’s restraints and ensure they are fitted tightly.
- Always watch your baby when they are using the bouncer.
- Never let your baby sleep in the bouncer at nighttime or during the day.
- Only use the bouncer for short periods of time (maximum time of 20 minutes). Stay near your baby at all times when they are in a bouncer.
- Do not use a bouncer if your baby is above its particular upper weight limit (often around 18 to 30 pounds) because this increases the risk of tipping.
- If the bouncer you are using is not designed to also be used for toddlers, stop using it once your baby can sit up unassisted. Always check the recommendations of the manufacturer.
By following these simple but important rules, your baby swing will be a safe place for your little one.
Many parents find bouncers and swings to be helpful, as they offer a safe place for the baby to stay when the parents need to do something else.
If you decide to buy a swing or bouncer for your baby, make sure that it is made with non-toxic and safe materials that will not harm your baby’s health. Always follow the safety tips when using these baby products.
Readers Favorite Posts: 11 Best Non-Toxic Cribs For Babies 6 Best Non-Toxic Beds For Toddlers and Kids 5 Best Non-Toxic Car Seats Without Flame Retardants For Infants 5 Best Non-Toxic Convertible Car Seats Without Flame Retardants 5 Best Non-Toxic High Chairs For Babies And Toddlers 5 Best Goat Milk Formulas For Babies And Toddlers 5 Best Organic European Baby Formula Brands 10 Best Non-Toxic Diapers For Babies And Toddlers