Our Pick For 5 BEST NON-TOXIC CONVERTIBLE CAR SEATS
- Best Overall Convertible Car Seat: Nuna RAVA Convertible Car Seat
- GREENGUARD GOLD Certified. Made with bamboo-polyester blend knit fabric. Designed for children from 5 to 65 lbs and a maximum height of 49 inches.
- Best Convertible Car Seat With More Safety Features: Clek Foonf Convertible Car Seat (Only Mammoth Collection)
- The Mammoth Collection is made from Merino wool and Tencel blend. Loaded with the most advanced safety features. Designed for children from 14 to 65 lbs and a maximum height of 49 inches.
- Best Value Convertible Car Seat: UPPAbaby KNOX Convertible Car Seat (Only in The Jordan Fashion)
- Fabric is naturally fire-resistant through the innovative use of Merino wool. Designed for children from 14 to 65 lbs and a maximum height of 49 inches.
- Best Convertible Car Seat For Rear-Facing Toddlers: Chicco NextFit Max ClearTex Extended-Use Convertible Car Seat
- GREENGUARD Gold Certified. Inherently fire-resistant fabric. Engineered with 25% more legroom and up to 50 lb weight limit for rear-facing drive. Designed for children from 4 to 65 lbs and a maximum height of 49 inches.
- Best Longest-Lasting Convertible Car Seat: Maxi-Cosi Pria All-in-One Convertible Car Seat (Only in PureCosi Fabric)
- Made of high-quality wool-free 100% Polyester fabric. This 3-in-1 car seat is specially designed to grow with your child from birth up to 10 years (4 to 100 lbs).
- Choose The Safest Convertible Car Seat Without Toxins
- Why Is It Important To Choose A Non-Toxic Car Seat For Your Baby?
- What Makes A Car Seat Potentially Toxic?
- What is a Convertible Car Seat?
- When Do You Need A Convertible Car Seat?
- Advantages of Convertible Car Seats
- Disadvantages Of Convertible Car Seats
- What To Look For In A Non-Toxic Convertible Car Seat?
- Our Full List Of Non-Toxic Convertible Car Seats
- TOP 5 Best Non-Toxic Convertible Car Seats
- The Difference Between Our Top 5 Non-Toxic Convertible Car Seats
- Bottom Line
The decision to transition your child from their infant car seat to a convertible car seat or an all-in-one car seat (these are like convertible car seats but have the added feature of being able to transform from a rear-facing car seat to a forward-facing one and a booster seat) can be overwhelming. With so many different car seats on the market, it can be difficult to choose which one is right or what features to look for.
Choose The Safest Convertible Car Seat Without Toxins
You need to find a convertible car seat that provides your baby with physical safety (reduces the risk of death or injury in car accidents) and chemical safety (made of materials that don’t contain toxins, carcinogens, or hormone disruptors).
In the USA, most car seats are still filled with toxic chemical flame-retardants. Currently, only a few companies manufacture baby car seats without these chemicals, so we will provide you with Our Full List Of Non-Toxic Convertible Car Seats that are available now.
Why Is It Important To Choose A Non-Toxic Car Seat For Your Baby?
Young children and infants are particularly susceptible and sensitive to toxins compared to adults because their bodies are still developing, they are less able to detoxify their bodies, and they have more surface area on their skin that toxins can penetrate .
Due to this, research has discovered that children have higher concentrations of flame retardants in their bodies than adults.
Therefore, we need to limit children’s exposure to chemicals that can negatively impact their health now and in the future.
What Makes A Car Seat Potentially Toxic?
Car seats can be made potentially toxic by flame retardants and PFAS.
1. Flame Retardants
Most children’s car seats, to adhere to Federal Motor Safety Standard 302’s flammability requirements, are treated with dangerous flame retardants.
Children can make direct skin contact or inhale these retardants. Evidence indicates that using them can cause health problems such as immune system problems, endocrine and thyroid disruption, reproductive toxicity, developmental problems, cancer, and neurological problems .
The brands we recommend in our article adhere to federal flammability requirements, using materials that are flame-resistant without using dangerous chemicals.
PFAS refers to a group of human-made chemicals that includes PFOA, PFOS, GenX, and many others  that are used to make car seats waterproof.
Evidence suggests that the use of these chemicals can cause health problems such as reproductive issues, developmental delays, kidney and liver problems, immune system problems, and tumors .
They can be absorbed through sweat, and there is a research which states that sunlight can increase the levels of these chemicals in car seats.
What is a Convertible Car Seat?
A convertible car seat (some parents call it ‘toddler car seat’) is a car seat that can be installed both rear-facing for infants, then turned forward-facing for larger and older children. These car seats adapt to your child’s growth.
A convertible car seat can take your child from infancy to preschool years and beyond (some convertible car seats can turn into a booster seat for school-age children). But we do recommend starting your newborn baby journey with an infant car seat because they are made specifically to keep newborns and infants safe and comfortable while traveling.
When Do You Need A Convertible Car Seat?
Some parents will choose an infant car seat initially and then transition to a convertible car seat when their baby has reached the infant car seat’s height or weight maximum (32 inches tall and 30-35lbs), but other parents will use a convertible car seat straight away.
Statistics show that, on average, babies transition from an infant car seat to a convertible seat starting at about 9 to 12 months old.
Advantages of Convertible Car Seats
We found the next benefits of using convertible car seats:
- These seats offer you the ability to switch the seat from a rear-facing position to a front-facing one and vice versa. This helps accommodate your child’s growth while making sure they stay safe.
- These seats can be used for the duration of at least 4 years and up to 6 years.
- Cost is an advantage because starting out with a suitable convertible seat instead of an infant car seat allows you to buy just one seat instead of two. Depending on the size of your child, a convertible car seat may be used from when they are a newborn until they’re a toddler.
Disadvantages Of Convertible Car Seats
Convertible seats can also have some disadvantages, such as the following:
- If you choose a convertible car seat for your newborn or infant, keep in mind that it won’t click into a stay-in-car base or strollers.
- These seats are often bulkier than infant car seats, so they’re not especially portable, meaning that they cannot be quickly taken out of the car once installed.
What To Look For In A Non-Toxic Convertible Car Seat?
Here are some things you’ll want to look for when searching for the best non-toxic convertible car seat for your little one:
1. Car Seat Safety
All car seats on the market go through strict testing and must follow all safety regulations. All of them are considered safe since safety is inherent to car seats.
However, some car seats perform better in crash tests, and some companies may include added safety features to their car seats that are not required by law.
2. Materials Used
Always pay attention to the materials your car seat is made of. It is important to avoid infant car seats that have fabric treated with flame retardants and PFAS chemicals.
Being on the lookout for GreenGuard Gold Certification is a good idea. GreenGuard Gold Certification helps to identify healthier baby products! You might have heard about other concerning toxins in car seats, including phthalates, PVCs, heavy metals, formaldehyde, and more. Fortunately, you can look for the GREENGUARD Gold Certification on the convertible car seats that will ensure that they have been tested for it, and they are safer for your baby.
Try to choose a car seat that will easily fit into your car.
4. Higher Rear-Facing Weight Limits.
Evidence indicates that rear-facing seats are safer for babies and children. If you can, select a convertible car seat with a high rear-facing weight limit so you can use a rear-facing seat for as long as possible.
5. Car Seat Cost
Some car seats are cheaper not because they are unsafe but because they may be made without any extras or additional safety features not required by law, whereas more expensive car seats have eco-friendly fabrics or a stability leg for extra support in the event of a crash. Fortunately, it is much easier today than it was in the past to find a less expensive but still non-toxic and high-quality car seat.
Our Full List Of Non-Toxic Convertible Car Seats
We did in-depth research for you, and we found 7 Convertible Car Seats from 5 manufacturers that are made without flame retardants and other chemicals.
List Of Non-Toxic Convertible Car Seats In 2021
|An entire line of Nuna car seats are made of Flame Retardant-Free materials from fabric to foam and beyond. Both Nuna convertible car seats listed here meet the standards for GREENGUARD GOLD certification.||Nuna EXEC All-In-One Convertible Car Seat|
|Nuna RAVA Convertible Car Seat|
|Their Mammoth Collection is made with an environmentally-friendly blend of biodegradable Merino wool + TENCEL which is free of any added flame retardants.||Clek Foonf Convertible Car Seat |
only Mammoth Collection
(Merino wool + TENCEL Blend)
|4. Clek Fllo Convertible Car Seat |
only Mammoth Collection
(Merino wool + TENCEL Blend)
|Only the JORDAN fashion is made with chemical-free and Fire Retardant-free material - Merino wool.||5. UPPAbaby KNOX Convertible Car Seat|
only Jordan option (charcoal mélange color)
|Chico ClearTex products use fabrics (plus foam and labels) made without any added chemical treatments. Their car seats are produced with materials that are inherently fire-resistant and gentle on babies. This car seat is GREENGUARD GOLD Certified.||6. Chicco NextFit Max ClearTex Extended-Use Convertible Car Seat|
|PureCosi by Maxi-Cosi is a new line of fabrics for car seats that no longer require the addition of nasty chemicals. This car seat is made with high-quality materials that are flame retardant-free and PFAS-free.||7. Maxi-Cosi Pria All-in-One Convertible Car Seat |
only in PureCosi fabric (After Dark and Walking Trail)
TOP 5 Best Non-Toxic Convertible Car Seats
We have selected the car seat models from each brand in our list above that we like the most! Read on for the details about each convertible car seat and choose the one that fits your needs and requirements.
Best Overall Convertible Car Seat
All Nuna’s car seats are engineered to be stylish, eco-friendly, highly functional, super safe, and totally non-toxic! Nuna is the only brand that makes their entire car seat line with CLEAN FABRICS, and all their products have met the standards for GREENGUARD GOLD Certification!
The Nuna RAVA convertible car seat is made without fire-retardant chemicals and is safe and comfortable for your baby.
About NUNA Company
- Nuna is a Dutch Brand that was founded in 2007.
- The company specializes in manufacturing eco-friendly and high-quality baby gear (car seats, strollers, travel, and in-home gear) that comply with global safety standards.
- Nuna’s baby gear all undergoes extensive testing at accredited, independent labs to ensure the highest standards of safety compliance and quality.
- Nuna’s products are manufactured in an ISO-14001 certified factory in China. This means their manufacturing processes implement solar power, recycling, and exhaust water treatment programs to reduce waste. The company believes in the importance of eco-friendly and responsible design.
What We Love About Nuna RAVA Convertible Car Seat
- Nuna RAVA Convertible Car Seat contains no added fire-retardant chemicals in any fabric or component, but complies with safety standards and is flame-resistant.
- It is made of a Bamboo-polyester blend knit fabric with no added chemicals. Bamboo is temperature-controlling, soft, hypoallergenic, and antibacterial material.
- It is GREENGUARD Gold Certified, so you know it has been tested for over 10,000 VOCs and chemicals.
- This car seat is designed for children from 5 to 65 lbs (Rear Facing: from 5 to 50 lbs; Forward Facing: from 25 lbs to 65 lbs). The height limit is 49”.
- RAVA car seats have great crash test scores and go above legally required safety standards in the US. They include energy-absorbing foam and SIP (Side-Impact Protection) pods, which is important because statistics suggest that children suffer worse injuries in side-impact collisions.
- The Nuna RAVA Convertible car seat includes 10 recline positions (5 rear-facing and 5 forward-facing) and 10 headrest positions. It also comes with a high-quality infant insert.
- Has an expiration date of 10 years after the purchase date.
Something To Keep In Mind
- The seat itself is steel-reinforced, which makes it quite heavy (27.2 lbs). This is a good quality to have in case of a car accident, but it makes this seat less suitable for travel or if it needs to be moved often from car to car.
- It is wide, making it not suitable for people with small cars or 3+ children.
Where To Buy
Best Convertible Car Seat With More Safety Features
To protect the wellbeing of your child, Canadian brand Clek thoughtfully creates the safest car seats on the market with best-in-class safety features.
The Clek Foonf convertible car seat is for parents who want their kids to be extra safe as it is an absolute tank. It promises ease of installation, revolutionary safety technology, and recyclability.
About CLEK Company
- Clek is a Canadian car seat manufacturer that is eco-friendly, sustainable, and responsible. They are proud to engineer and make the Foonf car seat in Ontario, Canada.
- Clek has the only car seat recycling program in North America, so you know they are committed to reducing waste.
What We Love About Clek Foonf Convertible Car Seat (Only Mammoth Collection)
- The car seat fabric (ONLY from Mammoth Collection) is made from a flame retardant-free, environmentally-friendly blend of sustainably sourced, biodegradable Merino wool and Tencel. Merino wool has temperature-controlling properties to keep your little one comfortable, and it is naturally hypoallergenic.
- All other components (foam, harnesses, plastics) meet fire safety standards and are also free of flame-retardants.
- This convertible car seat comes with Clek’s most advanced safety features, including an energy management system, adjustable headrest, anti-rebound bar, latch for secure installation, side-impact protection, deep side wings, and multiple foam layers to absorb impact.
- Clek Foonf car seat is designed for children from 14 to 65 lbs. When rear-facing, the weight limit is 50 lbs, up to 65 lbs when forward-facing. The height limit is 49 inches. There is a separately sold component that accommodates an infant from 5 lbs. It is also narrow enough to allow riding 3 across.
- Complies with federal safety standards and is certified to use in motor vehicles and aircraft.
- Clek car seats expire nine years from their date of manufacture.
Something To Keep In Mind
- Pricey. This is the most expensive car seat on our list.
- Heavy. With the rear-facing base, it weighs 38 lb , and when forward-facing, it is 33 lb.
Where To Buy
Best Value Convertible Car Seat
UPPAbaby’s first convertible car seat, KNOX – grows with your child through toddlerhood and beyond (suitable for children approximately 1–6 years old).
This modern car seat is designed for safety and comfort at a fair price.
Only JORDAN fashion is made without the use of fire-retardant chemicals and PFAS. The fabric of these car seats is naturally fire-resistant through innovative use of Merino wool.
About UPPAbaby Company
- UPPAbaby is an American car seat and stroller company founded in 2006.
- All UPPAbaby products meet the strictest standards in the industry as required by the CPSC and JPMA.
- Their products are manufactured in China with strict quality control measures.
What We Love About UPPAbaby KNOX Convertible Car Seat (Only The Jordan Fashion)
- The Jordan Fashion fabric passes mandated flammability standards while using no flame retardants whatsoever, instead using a naturally flame-resistant OEKO-TEX Standard 100 certified Merino wool.
- All materials used in all the components are high-quality, soft, and moisture- and temperature-controlling.
- This toddler’s car seat is packed with safety features: SMARTSecure System (provides visual confirmation of the car seat being installed correctly), a tether to reduce rotation and stress to the head and neck), Side-Impact Pods for additional impact absorption, and an adjustable headrest.
- The weight limit in the rear-facing position is 45 lbs and 65 lbs in the front-facing position. The height limit is 49”.
Something To Keep In Mind
- The KNOX is available in 4 colors, but only the Jordan Fashion version uses natural and non-toxic fabric.
- Not suitable for newborns. Has a minimum weight of 14 pounds.
- It weighs 32 lbs.
- UPPAbaby took the original KNOX seat off the market voluntarily in April 2020 because of increased lateral movement when used in the rear-facing position. The 2021 model, however, includes added safety features to prevent this issue.
Where To Buy
Best Convertible Car Seat For Rear-Facing Toddlers
The NextFit Max ClearTex Extended-Use Car Seat from Chicco is engineered for comfortably maximizing rear-facing use with 25% more legroom and a 50 lb weight limit. According to the American Academy of Pediatrics, it is safest for toddlers to be in rear-facing seats because they distribute the impact more evenly across the back of the car seat and the child’s body. They also help to minimize head and neck injuries by limiting head motion and keeping the child secure within the shell of the seat.
From textiles to tags, CHICCO ClearTex car seats contain no harmful chemicals and, most importantly, they are GREENGUARD Gold Certified!
About Chicco Brand
- Chicco is an Italian Brand owned by Artsana that has been manufacturing baby products for 60 years for many dozens of countries.
- The company actively participates in the development of future quality and safety regulatory standards, encouraging responsible innovation.
- Chicco car seats are manufactured in China while being comfortable, secure, and above all, safe.
What We Love About NextFit Max ClearTex Extended-Use Convertible Car Seat
- The Chicco NextFit Max ClearTex Extended-Use Convertible Car Seat is made with inherently flame-resistant fabrics and foam without any added chemical treatments that still comply with federal car safety flammability standards.
- It has been tested and proven to have low chemical emissions and is GREENGUARD Gold Certified.
- This convertible car seat is designed for children weight from 4 to 65 lbs and up to 49″ tall. It can be used in the rear-facing position until your baby is 50 lbs and in the forward-facing position up to 65 lbs.
- It is designed to always be easy to install correctly.
- It weighs about 25.5 lbs.
Where To Buy
Best Longest-Lasting Convertible Car Seat
A safe and non-toxic Pria All-in-One Convertible Car Seat by Maxi-Cosi only in PureCosi fabric (After Dark and Walking Trail) is specially designed to grow with your child from birth to 10 years old (4-100 lbs). This seat can be used for rear-facing rides from 4 to 40 pounds, forward-facing rides up to 65 pounds, and in booster mode until your child is 100 pounds.
About Maxi-Cosi Company
- Dorel Juvenile brand Maxi-Cosi is one of the biggest manufacturers of baby gear worldwide. They are based in Quebec, Canada.
- Maxi-Cosi was founded in the Netherlands in 1984. They created the first car seat with high-quality safety features on the market in Europe.
What We Love About Maxi-Cosi Pria All-in-One Convertible Car Seat Only In PureCosi Fabric
- Their innovative PureCosi fabric means that Maxi-Cosi car seats don’t require any flame-retardant chemicals. The fabric is wool-free, 100% polyester, easily washable.
- The Maxi-Cosi Pria All-in-One car seat exceeds all federal standards and comes with built-in side-impact protection backed by decades of European engineering. Its QuickFit shoulder harness adjusts automatically to fit your child’s height as they grow.
- It has 3 modes: rear-facing, forward-facing, and booster mode, so you might not need another car seat.
- It weighs 22.7 pounds, making it the lightest on our list.
Something To Keep In Mind
- Only 2 colors (After Dark and Walking Trail) are available in PureCosi fabric that is made without flame retardants. Please pay attention to this.
Where To Buy
The Difference Between Our Top 5 Non-Toxic Convertible Car Seats
To summarize all the above information, we have compared the 5 Best Non-Toxic Convertible Car Seats for quick reference, so you can easily compare their fabric, presence of GreenGuard Gold Certification, weight, and cost. This will help you to make a decision on the best car seat for your child.
|5 Best Non-Toxic Convertible Car Seats||Fabric||GREENGUARD Gold Certified||Child’s min and max weight||Seat weight:||Made in||Cost|
|Nuna RAVA Convertible Car Seat||Bamboo-polyester blend knit||Yes||5 to 65 lbs||27.2 lbs||China||$$$|
|Clek Foonf Convertible Car Seat (only Mammoth Collection)||Merino Wool + TENCEL||No||14 to 65 lbs||33-38 lbs||Canada||$$$$|
|UPPAbaby KNOX Convertible Car Seat (only Jordan option)||Merino Wool||No||14 to 65 lbs||32 lbs||China||$$|
|Chicco NextFit Max ClearTex Extended-Use Convertible Car Seat||Inherently fire-resistant fabric||Yes||4 to 65 lbs||25.5 lbs||China||$|
|Maxi-Cosi Pria All-in-One Convertible Car Seat (only in PureCosi fabric)||Wool-free 100% Polyester||No||4 to 100 lbs||22.7 lbs||China||$|
As understanding of the toxicity of flame-retardants has increased, more and more companies have started to produce car seats without them, using safe, naturally flame-resistant materials.
This is great news as today there are a variety of non-toxic convertible car seats available that can fit into any budget, so you know you can make a choice that meets safety requirements and doesn’t expose your child to any harmful chemicals.
We hope our article will help you make the best decision for your individual situation.
Readers Favorite Posts: 5 Best Non-Toxic Car Seats Without Flame Retardants For Infants 5 Best Non-Toxic High Chairs For Babies And Toddlers 5 Best Goat Milk Formulas For Babies And Toddlers 5 Best Organic European Baby Formula Brands 10 Best Non-Toxic Diapers For Babies And Toddlers 5 Best Non-Toxic Baby Wipes With The Safest Ingredients