Our Pick For 6 Best Non-Toxic Kid’s Beds
- Best Overall Non-Toxic Bed: Romina Furniture Beds
- GreenGuard Gold Certified. Made in Europe only with 100% Solid Beech (Hardwood); non-toxic, water-based finishes. Made-to-order furniture.
- Best Non-Toxic Bunk Bed: Baby Eco Trends Amish Bunk Beds
- Made in Indiana, USA by skilled Amish master woodworkers. Made only with solid wood (hardwood); can be coated with standard (DO NOT RECOMMEND) or formaldehyde-free stains and paints. Made-to-order furniture.
- Best Non-Toxic Montessori Floor Bed: Zipadee Kids Montessori Floor Bed With Rails
- Made in Ohio, USA, with locally sourced natural hardwood poplar; no finishes or paints. Totally non-toxic made-to-order furniture.
- Best Non-Toxic House Bed: Purveyor House Bed With Picket Fence Railings
- Made in Missouri, USA with only solid poplar wood; no finishes or paints.Totally safe and non-toxic beds in a house shape.
- Best Design Non-Toxic Bed: Pottery Barn Kids Catalina Square Bed
- GreenGuard Gold Certified. Made with solid poplar wood (no veneers or MDF materials were used); non-toxic finishes. This bed is constructed in a production facility in the USA while the materials are sourced globally.
- Best Non-Toxic Bed With Storage: Atlantic Furniture Nantucket Platform Bed With 2 Urban Bed Drawers
- Made in Vietnam, using eco-friendly, plantation-grown hardwoods (Pará rubber tree) + plywood (sides and bottom of the drawers); non-toxic, low-VOC finishes.
- Why Is It So Important To Choose A Non-Toxic Bed?
- Potentially Harmful Chemicals To Steer Clear In Kid’s Beds
- What To Look For When Choosing A Non-Toxic Bed For Toddlers And Kids?
- TOP 6 Best Non-Toxic Beds For Toddlers And Kids
- The Difference Between Our Top 6 Non-Toxic Kid’s Beds
- Bottom Line
All kids need to get proper and comfortable sleep as they grow. At the age of 4-6 years, most toddlers will outgrow their convertible cribs (the ones that convert into toddler beds), so parents need to find a comfortable and safe bed for their kids for the years to come.
Nowadays there is a very wide selection of children’s beds with different designs, materials and colors: traditional (twin and full), with or without storage, floor beds, bunk beds, etc. But there is one important thing that you need to pay attention to: your kid’s bed should not be toxic and pose a danger to their health.
How can the toddlers’ and kids’ beds be toxic?
What chemicals can be present in a kids’ bed?
What materials to pay attention to when choosing a truly non-toxic bed?
In our article we will give you the answer to those questions.
We did in-depth research for you on the safest non-toxic toddler and kids’ beds available today, because our children deserve safe and healthy sleep.
Why Is It So Important To Choose A Non-Toxic Bed?
Your kid’s room must be the safest place in your home, as your child will spend most of his/her time there.
Furniture made of cheap composite materials, plywood, or MDF, with toxic glue and harmful paints, emits a variety of harmful chemicals into the air, which creates an unhealthy environment for children who are much more vulnerable to toxins and chemicals than adults.
By choosing a non-toxic kid’s bed (together with other furniture items for your nursery) you can limit your child’s exposure to nasty chemicals that may negatively impact their health now and in the future.
Potentially Harmful Chemicals To Steer Clear In Kid’s Beds
It’s not possible to protect ourselves and our children from all dangers, but we can still be mindful of what we bring into our homes. It’s important to be aware of the risks posed by furniture materials which might harm our own and our children’s health in the future.
Every piece of furniture (including toddlers’ and kid’s beds) may contain a lot of chemicals. The main 5 to avoid are:
1. VOCs (Volatile Organic Compounds)
They are a large group of chemicals that “off-gas” into the indoor air we breathe. They are invisible and many of them have no odor (smell) .
Individuals who’ve been poisoned by a large amount of VOCs may develop damage to the central nervous system, liver or kidney damage, headaches, eye, nose, or throat problems, and some VOCs can also cause cancer if someone is exposed to them for a long period of time.
These chemicals can be found in furniture, paints, rugs, vinyl flooring, cosmetics, nail polish, air fresheners, and cleaning products.
To be on the safe side, when buying any piece of children’s furniture, choose items that are Greenguard Gold-certified, as these have been tested and scientifically proven to have low chemical emissions (low levels of VOCs).
Formaldehyde is a known carcinogen that is linked with cancer, allergies, asthma, and can irritate and burn the eyes, nose, throat, and skin.
It is commonly found in furniture, wooden toys, paper towels, skincare, baby wipes, and more .
Most furniture is made with engineered wood (composite wood). This man-made product is made with sawmill waste leftovers from making solid wood lumber and mixed together with adhesives (formaldehyde-based glue) through chemical or heat processes to form one single sheet.
Always prioritize natural solid wood without the use of glues vs toxic engineered wood.
Researchers have linked phthalates to reproductive problems, neurodevelopmental issues, organ damage (liver and kidney abnormalities), obesity, allergies, asthma, and cancer. Phthalates are also endocrine disruptors.
Phthalates are used to make one of the most hazardous types of material – vinyl, or PVC.
Products containing phthalates include: furniture and textiles, building materials, children’s stuff, and more.
In furniture items, phthalates can be present in glues and stains. Always purchase kid’s beds with “no-VOCs” or “low-VOC” paints, stains, and lacquers. Also, you can directly ask the manufacturer if the product is phthalate-free.
4. Heavy Metals
Most heavy metals are reported to be highly toxic . Exposure to them can cause neurocognitive disorders, nerve damage, mental retardation, learning and behavioral problems, respiratory problems, cancer, and cardiovascular diseases.
Heavy metals can be found in furniture, paints, dyes, cosmetics, and more.
Choose furniture where the manufacturer claims that it (or the furniture’s paint) is free of lead and other heavy metals.
5. Pesticides And Herbicides
Exposure to pesticides and herbicides is linked to neurodevelopmental disorders, endocrine disruption, disruption of the immune system, paralysis, and death.
These toxins are commonly found in furniture, bedding, clothing, food, and garden products.
What To Look For When Choosing A Non-Toxic Bed For Toddlers And Kids?
When making your choice on what bed to buy for your child, please pay close attention to the following:
1. Type of Wood
We recommend buying furniture pieces that are made only with solid wood (hardwood is preferable to softwood). Try to avoid engineered or composite wood as these materials may contain toxic glues and adhesives.
2. Only Non-Toxic (No-VOCs or Low-VOCs) Paints And Finishes
There are a lot of unhealthy and toxic finishes and paints used while manufacturing kids’ furniture. Always pay attention and check if the toddler bed you’re looking into is made with low or no-VOCs natural finishes and non-toxic water-based paints that are safe for kids.
3. GreenGuard GOLD Certification
To be on the safe side, we recommend buying only pieces of child’s furniture that have GreenGuard Gold Certification, meaning it is free of toxic chemicals and completely safe for kids.
GreenGuard GOLD certified beds have lower or no chemical emissions – formaldehyde especially – and have been tested for more than 10,000 chemicals. This certification ensures that a certain bed is safe to use indoors.
TOP 6 Best Non-Toxic Beds For Toddlers And Kids
The manufacturers that we recommend here are some of the best on the market nowadays. Their beds are indeed eco-friendly and safe for kids.
1. Romina Furniture
Best Overall Non-Toxic Bed
All Romina furniture is made entirely of hardwood and is one of the safest, most high quality, and best looking (beautiful, different styles and colors) beds on the market.
Romina beds are made of 100% solid beech (hardwood) with non-toxic, water-based and organic oil finishes. They are never made with formaldehyde, phthalates, lead, or other VOCs. And most importantly, all their furniture is GREENGUARD Gold Certified and periodically tested.
About Romina Furniture Company
- Romina Furniture has been making safe, beautiful furniture pieces in Romania since 1991. They are sold through 85 different retailers across the world.
- They are committed to sustainable practices that will leave future generations with a beautiful world. They plant five saplings for every tree they cut down.
- Romina’s furniture is tested to meet the most stringent requirements and are GREENGUARD Gold Certified.
- All its furniture is made in Europe, Romania.
What We Love About Romina Furniture Toddler Beds
- The Romina Beds are made with 100% solid beech and are covered with non-toxic, water-based finishes. These beds are entirely made without engineered wood. Only solid wood.
- All beds are totally safe for children as they meet the GREENGUARD Gold standard and eliminate harmful toxins that are commonly used in manufacturing kids’ furniture.
- All Romina furniture items meet US standards and CPSC requirements.
- Romina offers 8 beautifully designed collections: Cleopatra, Antonio, Imperio, Karisma, Uptown, Ventianni, New York, and Pandora. All collections have twin and full-sized beds. Besides the beds, every collection has dressers, chests, bookcases, and nightstands – everything you need to create a modern and beautiful bedroom for your toddler.
- If you want to customize your future bed, there are also over 18 different finish options available. Just pick your favorite one and Romina will create the perfect bed for you!
Something To Keep In Mind
- Romina beds are pricey. But their price is fair considering that their furniture is exceptionally safe, healthy, and eco-friendly.
- This furniture is made-to-order. If you choose the twin or full-sized bed from Romina, you will need to wait for your order for about 10-14 weeks.
Where To Buy
2. Baby Eco Trends
Best Non-Toxic Bunk Bed
The uniqueness of Baby Eco Trends toddler beds is that they are handmade by skilled Amish master woodworkers with the superior quality in Indiana.
All their beds and cribs are made only with solid wood harvested responsibly in the USA without any engineered pieces.
About Baby Eco Trends Company
- Baby Eco Trends is an American small business founded in 2008. It is family-owned and offers solid wood, non-toxic baby and children’s furniture crafted by skilled Amish woodworkers. Safety, service, and quality are absolute priorities.
- Baby Eco Trends specializes in American-made children’s furniture (baby cribs, bunk beds and children’s beds, nursery chairs and gliders, baby changing tables and dressers, high chairs, youth chairs, Moses basket stands, bedding, and toys).
- Their beds are made in Indiana, USA.
What We Love About Amish Bunk Beds For Toddlers
- All Baby Eco Trends furniture is made with hardwood and without engineered wood or toxic chemicals. The wood used is not chemically treated – instead, it is kiln-dried. The beds are put together through tenon and mortise joints to avoid the use of glues or other adhesives.
- Their beds can be coated with non-toxic formaldehyde-free stains and paints. Not all their paints are non-toxic. When you choose the stain/paint on their site, make sure you choose formaldehyde-free. An unfinished option is also available for any bed which is also great!
- Their bunk beds feature a guardrail on the top bunk for safety, and each bunk bed fits two standard mattresses.
- Besides bunk Beds, they also have twin, full, queen, and king-sized beds.
- Free shipping for the furniture within the continental USA. They don’t ship to Alaska, Hawaii, or Puerto Rico.
Something To Keep In Mind
- We do recommend carefully choosing the stain/paint for your child’s bed as not all their paints are non-toxic.
- Baby Eco Trends beds are completed within 8-10 weeks (some of their items may take longer). The packing and shipping process will take an additional 2-3 weeks. They are not mass-produced and the high quality requires a little time for the company.
- Pricey as the furniture is handmade in the USA on a small, old-world scale.
Where To Buy
3. Zipadee Kids
Best Non-Toxic Montessori Floor Bed
Floor beds came from the philosophy of Maria Montessori, who believes in the importance of fostering independence for children (within safe limits).
Zipadee Kids creates floor beds with Montessori principles in mind.
Their beds are made with sustainable US hardwood and without using finishes. They are totally non-toxic, comfortable, and high-quality pieces for a kid’s room.
About Zipadee Kids Company
- Zipadee Kids is a small family business, founded in 2017 by a husband/wife team, Matt and Amanda Whited. They offer handmade goods for kids and Montessori-inspired furnishings.
- Zipadee Montessori beds are made in Ohio, USA using sustainable Appalachian hardwood.
What We Love About Zipadee Montessori Floor Bed With Rails
- Zipadee beds are made from locally sourced natural hardwood poplar. You will not find any type of engineered wood in their products! No veneer, no glues, no chemicals, ONLY natural American solid wood!
- Floor beds are left natural without using any finishes and paints. They are hand-sanded smooth and look beautiful and totally safe while being unfinished!
- Their beds are made one by one to order so that they can ensure high quality. Their construction is very sturdy as they are put together with dowels and screws.
- The Montessori beds are available in twin, full, and queen sizes.
- The purchase includes the bed’s base, the 4 railings, and the mattress slats. The easy-to-follow instructions also will be included so you can assemble it without problems.
- Free shipping.
Something To Keep In Mind
- Zipadee Montessori floor beds are made-to-order furniture. You will need to wait for a few weeks for your bed to be made by hand.
Where To Buy
4. Purveyor House Bed With Picket Fence Railings
Best Non-Toxic House Bed
With the popularity of Montessori education, the interest in floor house beds has increased significantly in the past few years.
Purveyor House Bed is created to make your toddler’s room a little more home-y!
Handmade in the USA from solid poplar wood without glues or plywoods, this beautiful bed is one of our favorites.
About Purveyor Company
- Purveyor 15 was founded in 2016 by Matt Grandt when his wife asked him to build their daughter a bed in a house shape.
- Their beds are handmade in Ozark, Missouri, USA.
What We Love About Purveyor House Bed With Picket Fence Railings
- The house bed with fence railings is made with solid, furniture-grade poplar wood, without using chemicals, glues or plywoods. All its parts are held together with heavy duty screws.
- Their beds are free of finishes and paints. All its wood pieces have a smooth, splinter-free finish on all sides. If you want, you can cover it yourself with non-toxic and kid-friendly paint.
- Totally non-toxic and safe bed with a picket fence on 4 sides.
Something To Keep In Mind
- Some parents find its instructions a little bit confusing.
Where To Buy
5. Pottery Barn Kids Catalina Square Bed
Best Design Non-Toxic Bed
Designed with classic ball finials and lathe-turned feet, the Catalina Square Bed is one of the most beautiful, expertly crafted pieces of kid’s furniture, with clean lines that will never go out of style.
It is also made with the finest and safest materials that make this bed totally non-toxic and GREENGUARD Gold Certified.
About Pottery Barn Kids Company
- Pottery Barn Kids was founded by two moms back in 1999. For over 20 years they have offered beautifully crafted and stylish kids & baby furniture, bedding, and toys.
- To make your child’s room safe, comfy, and cozy, many pieces of Pottery Barn Kids furniture are GREENGUARD Gold Certified, meaning their materials have low chemical emissions. Also, they offer organic GOTS- and BCI-certified textiles and bedding.
- Pottery Barn Kids Catalina Square Bed is made in a production facility in the USA while its materials are sourced globally.
What We Love About Pottery Barn Kids Catalina Square Bed
- Catalina Square bed is made from solid poplar wood. No veneers or MDF materials were used.
- The finish is hand-applied in a multi-step process and sealed with lacquer.
- This bed is GREENGUARD Gold Certified and tested for over 10,000 chemicals and VOCs to keep your kids safer and provide cleaner indoor air. Their products all meet or exceed regulatory requirements for safety as they are all tested at CPSC-accredited, third-party labs to ensure this.
- The mattress platform has two heights for ultimate versatility (suitable for younger or older children), can be used with or without a box spring (which can be purchased separately), and is made of solid wood with slats.
Something To Keep In Mind
- Not all Pottery Barn Kids beds for toddlers and kids are made with solid wood. Some of them may contain engineered wood (which has also been GREENGUARD Gold Certified), so read the description carefully before you choose the best bed for your child.
Where To Buy
6. Atlantic Furniture Nantucket Platform Bed With 2 Urban Bed Drawers
Best Non-Toxic Bed With Storage
If you are looking for a toddler bed that can be both practical and stylish, Atlantic Furniture Nantucket Bed with 2 drawers is a good choice. These drawers slide easily on wheels and can be placed on either side of the bed, which makes it easy to open and great for storing any necessities.
And the most important fact is that Nantucket Bed is made with solid hardwood and covered with non-toxic finish which makes it safe for kids and the environment.
About AFI Furnishings Company
- AFI Furnishings was founded in 1983 by Mark Valone. The company’s headquarters are located in South Deerfield, Massachusetts, USA.
- Atlantic Furniture designs, manufactures, and imports (from partners around the world) solid hardwood furniture and mattresses. The company aims to provide only high-quality, safe, and eco-friendly furniture that will last for years to come for its customers.
- AFI Furnishings is a member of the Sustainable Furnishings Council, meaning they are committed to sustainable practices and demonstrating environmental responsibility via their furniture.
- Most of their furniture is manufactured in Vietnam, using eco-friendly, plantation-grown hardwoods.
What We Love About Atlantic Furniture Nantucket Platform Bed With 2 Urban Bed Drawers
- The Nantucket Platform Bed is made with eco-friendly solid hardwood from the Pará rubber tree, more commonly known as rubberwood or Hevea. These types of hardwood are economically practical and environmentally responsible.
- Its finishes are non-toxic, low-VOC, CARB-certified, lead-free, formaldehyde-free and child-safe.
Something To Keep In Mind
- Urban Bed Drawers are made with solid wood fronts with plywood being used for the sides and bottom.
Where To Buy
The Difference Between Our Top 6 Non-Toxic Kid’s Beds
To summarize all the information above, we have compared the 6 Best Non-Toxic Toddler Beds for quick reference, so you can easily compare the materials they are made of, presence of GreenGuard Gold Certification, cost, and other parameters. This will help you to make a decision about the best bed for your child.
|6 Best Non-Toxic Toddler Beds||Used Materials||GreenGuard Gold Certified?||Made To Order Furniture?||Made in||Cost|
|Romina Furniture Ventianni Twin Bed||Only 100% solid beech (hardwood); Non-toxic, water-based finishes||Yes||Yes||Romania, Europe||$$$|
|Baby Eco Trends Bunk Bed||Only solid wood (hardwood); Can be coated with standard (DO NOT RECOMMEND) or formaldehyde-free stains and paints||No||Yes||Indiana, USA||$$$$|
|Zipadee Kids Floor Bed||Only locally sourced natural hardwood poplar; No finishes or paints||No||Yes||Ohio, USA||$$|
|Purveyor House Bed With Picket Fence Railings||Only solid poplar wood; No finishes or paints||No||No||Missouri, USA||$$|
|Pottery Barn Kids Catalina Square Bed||Only solid poplar wood; Non-toxic finishes||Yes||No||USA||$|
|Atlantic Furniture Nantucket Platform Bed With 2 Urban Bed Drawers||Solid Hardwood from the Pará rubber tree, plywood; Non-toxic, low-VOC finishes||No||No||Vietnam||$|
Frequently Asked Questions
1. When To Transition Your Toddler From A Crib To A Bed?
There is no specific time when you should switch from a crib to a regular or toddler bed, although most children make this transition between the ages of 2 1/2 and 3 1/2. This is a very individual decision and it will depend on whether your baby is really ready for that.
2. How To Know If My Baby Is Ready To Transition From Crib To Bed?
There are a few signs that indicate your toddler is ready for an upgrade:
- your toddler no longer fits his/her crib;
- your baby can easily climb out of his/her crib;
- your little one is asking for a big boy or big girl bed;
- your kiddo does not have problems with sleeping through the night.
3. What Type Of Kid’s Bed Is The Best?
In our opinion, the best beds for toddlers are FLOOR BEDS based on the Montessori philosophy. Floor beds allow your child free movement without any restriction while being safe and comfortable.
When shopping for a truly non-toxic and eco-friendly toddler or kid’s bed, there are a few things to look out for: materials (type of wood, paint, finishes), presence of GreenGuard Gold Certification (ensuring the product meets important criteria such as low levels of chemical emissions), and design.
The kid’s beds from our list are eco-friendly, sustainably made, and totally safe for children.
Hopefully, our article helps you to make the right decision on what bed to buy for your kiddo.
Readers Favorite Posts: 11 Best Non-Toxic Cribs For Babies 5 Best Non-Toxic Car Seats Without Flame Retardants For Infants 5 Best Non-Toxic Convertible Car Seats Without Flame Retardants 5 Best Non-Toxic High Chairs For Babies And Toddlers 5 Best Goat Milk Formulas For Babies And Toddlers 5 Best Organic European Baby Formula Brands 10 Best Non-Toxic Diapers For Babies And Toddlers