Our Pick For 5 Best Non-Toxic Kids Mattresses
- Best Overall Mattress: Naturepedic 2 in 1 Organic Kids Mattress
- All Naturepedic mattresses are entirely certified to be totally safe and non-toxic for kids and adults. Their mattresses are GOTS, MADE SAFE, and UL/GREENGUARD Certified.
- Best Wool-Free Mattress: Avocado Hybrid Vegan Mattress
- Avocado Vegan mattress is GREENGUARD Gold Certified, MADE SAFE Certified, 100% GOLS Certified (latex), and 100% GOTS Certified (cotton) to assure parents that they are totally safe for kids and will not harm their health.
- Best Latex-Free Mattress: Pure Echo Mattress by My Green Mattress
- This mattress is handcrafted with coils innerspring, GOTS certified organic cotton, and GOTS certified organic wool. My Green Mattress uses only safe and non-toxic materials in its products.
- Best Latex Mattress: OMI Youth Bed Mattress
- OMI Youth Bed Mattresses is GOLS, GOTS, and GREENGUARD Gold Certified. Their mattresses are manufactured with organic, natural materials that are totally safe for kids.
- Best Firm Mattress: Metta Bed Organic Mattress
- Metta Bed Organic Mattress is made only with natural and safe materials that do not contain toxins or chemicals. It is GOLS, GOTS, and GREENGUARD Gold Certified.
- Why Is Choosing A Non-Toxic Mattress For Kids So Important?
- What Makes A Kids’ Mattress Toxic?
- What To Look For In A Non-Toxic Mattress?
- Mattress Certifications
- Something To Consider
- TOP 5 Non-Toxic Mattresses For Kids
- The Differences Between Our Top 5 Non-Toxic Mattresses
- The Bottom Line
Getting a good night’s sleep is critical for our health. Kids and adults spend about one-third of their lives in bed sleeping. A safe sleeping environment is important and essential for all of us!
Our bodies are resting and repairing when we sleep. If our bed or mattress is off-gassing toxic chemicals, this won’t let our bodies rejuvenate and detox as well as they could. Plus, we’re being exposed to harmful chemicals while we sleep.
To create a healthy sleeping environment for your kids and yourself, choose furniture that is natural and non-toxic, including mattresses and bedding.
Many kid’s mattresses today have harmful chemicals in them (flame retardants, adhesives, dyes, petrochemicals, etc.). These chemicals can be dangerous to human health, especially for children.
A non-toxic mattress should never have flame retardants, polyurethane, or memory foams. It should be needle-tufted instead of glued. This kind of mattress won’t pollute indoor air quality or impact physical and mental health.
How might you choose the best mattress for your little one? What chemicals can be hidden in a typical mattress? When making your choice, what should you look out for?
We did a lot of research so that you don’t have to. We found 5 of the best non-toxic kids’ mattresses that will not harm your child’s health. Read our guide to learn more.
Why Is Choosing A Non-Toxic Mattress For Kids So Important?
When your child is sleeping, their body is recovering from daily stress and toxins. It’s important not to interrupt that process by exposing your kid to more toxins coming from their mattress.
Children are more vulnerable to the toxins because their organs and elimination systems are still developing. Unfortunately, they can’t detoxify as easily as adults can.
Kids will accumulate all toxins from their mattress (or other pieces of furniture) in their small bodies through direct skin contact, ingestion, and inhalation.
You should choose a safe mattress for your baby to sleep on. This means finding one that is made from natural and environmentally friendly materials and that doesn’t contain harmful chemicals.
What Makes A Kids’ Mattress Toxic?
There are many dangerous materials and chemicals present in conventional mattresses. So let’s take a look at some of them.
Polyurethane foam is one of the lowest-quality and cheapest types of foam used in mattresses and mattress toppers.
Both polyurethane foam and memory foam are made up of compounds that come from petrochemicals and may contain potentially toxic chemicals such as: flame retardants, VOCs, PFOS, formaldehyde, chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs), methylbenzene, boric acid, methylene chloride, toluene diisocyanate, chlorine, benzene, and more.
We recommend against buying a kids’ mattress that is made from foam.
2. Synthetic Latex
Synthetic latex is a man-made substance that is very similar to natural latex. It is made by combining two chemicals – styrene and butadiene – to create styrene-butadiene rubber or SBR.
Both styrene and butadiene are harmful chemicals. Studies have shown that there is a link between cancer and exposure to styrene-butadiene. The most common cancer linked to this chemical is leukemia.
It is important to buy a kid’s mattress that is made only from NATURAL latex. This is because natural latex comes from rubber tree sap and isn’t treated with any harmful chemicals. Both synthetic and natural latex is used by some brands. Make sure you choose a brand that uses ONLY NATURAL latex without unnecessary additives.
Glue is used to stick the layers of the mattress together. There are many types of glue used in mattress manufacturing. Some of these glues contain toxic or carcinogenic chemicals. One such chemical is formaldehyde, which is found in adhesives.
Formaldehyde can cause eye, skin, nose, and throat irritation. Being exposed to formaldehyde in large amounts may cause some types of cancer.
Many adhesives may also contain volatile organic compounds (VOCs), which can be carcinogenic too.
Choose kids’ mattresses that are needle-tufted instead of glued.
Vinyl is used frequently when making waterproof and bacteria-resistant bedding.
However, vinyl has two significant dangers associated with it. First, PVC (polyvinyl chloride) is known to cause cancer in humans. Second, the plasticizers used to soften the vinyl and make it flexible – called phthalates – can damage the health of yourself and your little one.
Phthalates can cause reproductive harm, asthma, early onset of puberty, cancer, and also kidney and liver damage. What’s even more worrying is that they are only weakly bound to the vinyl surface and can leach or off-gas into the surrounding air, which you then breathe in.
We recommend that you avoid vinyl products completely.
5. Flame Retardants
Federal law in the US states that all mattresses must meet specific safety standards. These testing standards help protect people from their bedroom catching on fire.
Flame retardants are chemicals that make mattresses less likely to catch on fire .
Some studies have linked popular flame retardants – such as bromine, chlorine, and phosphorus – to different health problems, including cancer, cognitive delays, decreased fertility, and cardiovascular disease.
You should choose a mattress that uses only safe, naturally flame-retardant fibers. Always avoid mattresses treated with any flame retardants.
What To Look For In A Non-Toxic Mattress?
When buying a mattress for your child, there are a few things you should keep in mind. This will ensure that you pick the safest option for your baby.
- You should avoid using chemical flame retardants. These chemicals can be dangerous for your child if they come into contact with the skin or are breathed in. Instead, choose mattresses made of naturally flame-resistant fibers.
- Avoid any foam. While soybean foam mattresses might sound safe and eco-friendly, they often have the same harmful effects on young lungs as polyurethane mattresses. Soybean foam mattresses can also release harmful chemicals like isocyanates which can damage kids’ airways.
- Don’t use vinyl covers on your mattresses. Vinyl can be toxic to humans, so it’s best to avoid it. If you want a waterproof mattress, choose one with a safe, non-toxic food-grade polyethylene cover.
- If you want a latex mattress for your child, make sure it is made from natural rubber, not synthetic materials. The latex should be certified by GOLS (Global Organic Latex Standard). This certification means that the latex in your mattress is safe, sustainable, and ethically harvested. It also ensures that the rubber trees used to create it were also grown without harmful pesticides or toxins.
- Look for mattresses with certifications like MADE SAFE, GreenGuard Gold, GOTS, and GOLS.
Certifications are an important way to learn about the safety, quality, and eco-friendly features of a mattress.
1. GOTS (Global Organic Textile Standard)
The GOTS – Global Organic Textile Standard – is an internationally recognized organic standard for textiles . This includes the fabric used in clothes, home textiles, yarns, and in this case, both the cotton and wool used in mattresses.
The GOTS standard guarantees that textiles are organic all the way from the harvesting of raw materials to the finished product. This makes it one of the strictest organic textile standards in existence.
2. GOLS (Global Organic Latex Standard)
The GOLS – Global Organic Latex Standard – is a standard that monitors the natural rubber used to make organic latex. This standard makes sure that everything from the rubber plantation to the final product meets specific requirements .
In order to be GOLS-certified, a product must contain at least 95% certified organic raw material.
3. MADE SAFE
The MADE SAFE certification means that the product has met rigorous safety standards. This label means that it does not harm human health, animals, or the environment. The product is screened for known toxins, neurotoxins, carcinogens, endocrine disruptors, flame retardants, heavy metals, pesticides, and harmful VOCs. Only a few mattress brands meet these safety standards .
4. GreenGuard Gold
GreenGuard Gold is a certification that looks at air quality standards. It makes sure that products designed for use indoors meet strict chemical emissions limits .
Gold certification also takes into account safety factors for people who might be more sensitive, like children and the elderly.
5. OEKO-TEX Standard 100
The Oeko-Tex Standard 100 is an international, third-party certification program that tests for more than one hundred harmful substances . These substances can include formaldehyde, banned colorants, heavy metals, pesticides, and VOCs.
Something To Consider
Now that you are better informed to choose a non-toxic mattress, there are still some extra questions you need to consider before you make a purchase.
1. What type of mattress do you want? Latex, innerspring, or a hybrid mattress?
Latex mattresses are made with hypoallergenic and high-density latex foam. Compared to innerspring mattresses, they are a more durable and softer option that conforms more to the contours of the body.
Organic latex mattresses are more expensive than other types of mattresses because of the cost of harvesting and processing the material.
Innerspring mattresses have a metal coil system to offer more support for your pressure points. They often have a soft layer on top, but they are still firm.
A good quality innerspring mattress can cost half as much as a high-quality organic latex mattress.
Hybrid mattresses have a coil support system but also have soft layers of latex (or foam) and a body-conforming pillow top. The transition layer of memory foam between the coils and mattress top makes them much softer than an innerspring mattress.
They are comfortable for any sleeping position. Hybrid mattresses have different options for firmness and comfort foam layers, so they can easily suit your personal preferences.
2. What level of firmness do you want for your kid’s mattress? Medium or firm?
A mattress’s firmness is very important for kids. If it is too soft or too firm, this can cause pain and discomfort during the night.
The best mattress for toddlers and older kids is a medium-firm mattress because it will help with spinal alignment and support your child’s body as they switch between sleeping positions throughout the night.
3. How much are you willing to spend on a twin mattress for your child?
You can spend between $700 and $3,500 on a new kids’ mattress. This price depends on the size of the mattress, the materials used, and its brand.
Fortunately, today you can find high-quality mattresses at affordable prices.
4. Do you need to pay extra for shipping or delivery?
Most mattress manufacturers offer free shipping of their products. But there are some exemptions.
5. Will the company take the mattress back if you are not happy with it?
When you are buying a new mattress, it is crucial to pick a company with a good return policy.
Ideally, the company should give you time to try out the mattress and see if it is comfortable for you. If you do not like it, you should get a full refund from the manufacturer.
The company also should take responsibility for picking up the mattress at no cost to you.
TOP 5 Non-Toxic Mattresses For Kids
The manufacturers that we recommend here are some of the best on the market nowadays. Their mattresses are indeed eco-friendly and safe for the entire family.
1. Naturepedic 2 in 1 Organic Kids’ Mattress
Best Overall Mattress
All Naturepedic mattresses are well known to be comfortable, high quality, and genuinely non-toxic.
They have a wide range of safe mattresses for the whole family: from crib mattresses to adult king-size mattresses.
Our favorite mattress for toddlers is the 2 in 1 Organic Kids’ Mattress, a highly versatile one designed with a smooth waterproof surface on one side and a quilted finish on the other. This feature allows you to choose the side that works best for your kiddo based on their development.
About NATUREPEDIC Company
- Naturepedic was founded in 2003 by Barry Cik, who wanted to manufacture non-toxic mattresses after he was unable to find a suitable crib mattress for his grandchild.
- Nowadays, Naturepedic has a large network of retail outlets both across the country and abroad. They have launched many new high-quality and non-toxic mattresses and bedding for babies, older kids, and adults. You can find their products in hospitals across the U.S.
- Naturepedic is dedicated to providing good sleep to its customers in an environmentally responsible and economical way.
- The company is proud of its following certifications: MADE SAFE Certification, OCS100 Certification, UL/GREENGUARD Gold Certification, as well as the UL formaldehyde-free standard, Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS), Global Organic Latex Standard (GOLS), and Forest Stewardship Council (FSC).
- Naturepedic company supports U.S. jobs and industry as their mattresses are proudly made in the USA with domestic and imported fabric and components by skilled Amish craftspeople who do their job very well.
What We Love About the Naturepedic 2 in 1 Organic Kids’ Mattress
- All Naturepedic kids’ mattresses are entirely organic and certified to be totally non-toxic and safe. Their kids’ mattresses are GOTS, MADE SAFE, and UL/GREENGUARD- certified and do not contain harmful ingredients that could impact children’s health.
- The 2 in 1 Kids’ Mattress is free of polyurethane foam, including memory foam. You will never find any flame retardant chemicals, formaldehyde, vinyl/PVC, phthalates, perfluorinated compounds (PFCs), glues/adhesives, biocides, or other toxins that may be commonly found in conventional mattresses.
- The waterproof layer of the mattress is made from food-safe, non-GMO sugarcane that can be wiped clean easily.
- They also offer protector pads, sheets, and pillowcases that are also made with kids in mind.
- They offer free shipping, free returns, a lifetime limited warranty, and a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Where To Buy
2. Avocado Vegan Mattress
Best Wool-Free Mattress
If you want to avoid animal-based products (wool) in your child’s mattress, Avocado creates a hybrid vegan mattress that is PETA-approved.
They replace the wool with 100% USDA organic-certified cotton batting.
We bought one ourselves and are very satisfied and happy with our purchase as Avocado’s mattresses and bedding are all safe, comfortable, and totally non-toxic.
About Avocado Green Mattress Brand
- Avocado Green Mattress is a part of Avocado Green Brands, founded in 2016 with headquarters in Hoboken, NJ. Avocado products are designed in Hoboken and handmade in California in their own factory with the finest natural, certified-organic, and non-toxic materials.
- The company offers a wide range of organic mattresses, toppers, protectors, pillows, bedding, bath products, beds, and furniture.
- This company’s mission is to be a respected manufacturer of not just mattresses but also pillows and bedding. They care about keeping their prices affordable without compromising on sustainable and ethical business practices.
- Avocado is a part of 1% for the Planet, meaning that 1% of its revenue is donated to nonprofit organizations. These nonprofits address various issues related to our planet, such as climate change, wildlife, water resources, food systems, and pollution.
- Avocado factories are powered by renewable energy and are approaching zero waste. They care for 200,000 sheep and grow and produce natural latex on their own farms.
- Avocado Mattresses are made in Los Angeles with the best domestic and international materials.
What We Love About Hybrid Avocado Vegan Mattress
- All Avocado Mattresses are made only with safe, healthy, and non-toxic materials. They are GREENGUARD Gold Certified, MADE SAFE Certified, 100% GOLS Certified (latex) and 100% GOTS Certified (cotton), which ensures that they are totally safe for humans and will not harm their health.
- You will not find petroleum-based polyurethane foams, formaldehyde, chemical adhesives, vinyl waterproofing, polyethylene, or flame retardant chemicals in Avocado’s mattresses.
- Instead of toxic fire retardants, Avocado infuses 100% natural graphite, a safe natural product that has been used for a long time, with organic latex as a non-toxic fire barrier to protect its mattress. Their mattresses exceed all federal flammability and CPSC standards.
- Avocado Vegan Mattress is ideally suited for growing children or anyone in need of natural cushioning and medium-firm support.
- Vegan Mattress is available in 2 options: hybrid (no wool) and all-foam latex (no wool, no springs). Just choose the one you like best.
- They offer free shipping, free returns, and a 25-year limited warranty.
Where To Buy
3. Pure Echo Mattress by My Green Mattress
Best Latex-Free Mattress
Nowadays, more and more kids (and adults) may have a latex allergy, so avoiding this material is very important for anyone who has a concern about it.
A latex-free mattress is hard to find, so we are pleased to share with you a really safe and non-toxic one: Pure Echo by My Green Mattress.
This mattress is also perfect for children, teens, and adults who prefer a firm mattress.
It is handcrafted with all-natural materials of the highest quality to keep your child safe while sleeping.
About My Green Mattress Company
- My Green Mattress was founded by Tim Masters, a father, in 2007. He wanted to create a crib mattress from safe materials which would be suitable for his infant daughter who suffered from allergies and eczema.
- My Green Mattress makes their mattresses in their family-owned, organic-certified factory that is the GOTS and GOLS Certified from Control Union.
- The company manufacture all their mattresses in Illinois, USA.
What We Love About Pure Echo Mattress by My Green Mattress
- Pure Echo Mattress is made with coils innerspring, GOTS certified organic cotton, and GOTS certified organic wool. FREE from LATEX!
- All its materials are safe and non-toxic. This mattress is free of dangerous flame retardants, polyurethane foam, and tons of other chemicals. The wool used in their quilted mattress is naturally flame-resistant, so chemical flame retardants are not necessary to pass fire safety requirements.
- Pure Echo mattress comes with a 120-night sleep trial and a 10-year warranty.
Something To Keep In Mind
- This mattress is not Made Safe Certified or Greenguard Gold Certified.
Where To Buy
4. OMI Youth Bed Mattress
Best Latex Mattress
The OMI Youth Bed Mattress is made with certified-organic natural rubber latex and does not contain any springs.
Also, this latex mattress is two-sided and offers a soft surface as children grow.
Totally non-toxic and made with kids in mind.
About Organic Mattresses, Inc. (OMI) Company
- Organic Mattresses, Inc. was founded in 2003. The company offers luxury and certified organic mattresses and bedding that are proudly handcrafted in Colorado and California with the highest quality, sustainable raw materials. The Youth Mattress is made in a factory in Denver, CO.
- OMI mattresses were the first mattresses to be certified organic in the US and they are proud to maintain this standard today.
- All their mattresses are GREENGUARD Gold Certified. The fabrics (cotton and wool fibers) used in their mattresses are certified organic according to the Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS). The latex cores are certified organic to the Global Organic Latex Standard (GOLS).
What We Love About OMI Youth Bed Mattresses
- All OMI mattresses are GREENGUARD Gold Certified. Their mattresses meet the highest standard for low emissions, VOCs, and pollutants, and will not harm the indoor air quality.
- The Youth Bed Mattress is made with natural and organic materials that are safe for kids. Its rubber sap (latex) core is natural, free from synthetic “fillers” and is GOLS certified. Its GOTS-certified organic cotton and organic wool are free of common chemicals and toxins.
- Free shipping, 20-year warranty.
Something To Keep In Mind
- These mattresses are more expensive than similar mattresses produced by competing companies.
Where To Buy
5. Metta Bed Organic Mattress
Best Firm Mattress
One of the most important factors to consider before purchasing a mattress for your child is its firmness. Childrens’ growing bodies need a firm or medium-firm mattress to ensure they get healthy spinal support during sleep.
Metta allows its customers to choose the comfort level of their mattress: plush, medium, or firm.
Also, the Metta Bed Mattress is GOTS, GOLS, and GreenGuard Gold-certified!
About Metta Company
- The Metta brand is owned and operated by Organic Mattresses, Inc. (OMI).
- The company proudly runs its own US-based factory where they manufacture all their products.
What We Love About Metta Bed Organic Mattress
- This mattress doesn’t have any innerspring. It is made of 2 layers of organic latex inside a zippered cover quilted with wool.
- Metta Bed Organic Mattress is made with the highest quality and finest organic raw materials. Its organic premium natural latex is GOLS-certified and is minimally processed and 95% pure. Their unbleached, GOTS-certified organic cotton fabrics are Texas-grown and are never chemically treated. Metta’s organic wool is GOTS-certified and is sourced from New Zealand.
- This mattress is GREENGUARD Gold-certified! It contains no chemical flame retardants as its organic wool is naturally flame resistant.
- The company can make a custom-sized mattress for you. Just contact them for more information.
Where To Buy
The Differences Between Our Top 5 Non-Toxic Mattresses
To summarize all the information above, we have compared the 5 Best Non-Toxic Toddler Mattresses for quick reference, so you can easily compare the materials they are made of, presence of Certifications, cost, and other parameters. This will help you to make a decision about the best mattress for your child.
|5 Best Non-Toxic Kids’ Mattresses||Certifications||Warranty||Made in||Cost|
|Naturepedic 2 in 1 Organic Kids Mattress||UL/GREENGUARD Certified and additionally certified as formaldehyde-free, MADE SAFE Certified, GOTS Certified (cotton)||Lifetime Limited Warranty||USA||$|
|Avocado Vegan Mattress||GREENGUARD Gold Certified, MADE SAFE Certified, 100% GOLS Certified (latex), and 100% GOTS Certified (cotton)||25-Year Limited Warranty||Los Angeles, USA||$$|
|Pure Echo Mattress by My Green Mattress||GOTS Certified (wool and cotton)||10-Year Limited Warranty||Illinois, USA||$|
|OMI Youth Bed Mattress||GREENGUARD Gold Certified, GOLS Certified (latex), and GOTS Certified (wool and cotton)||20-Year Limited Warranty||Denver, USA||$$$$|
|Metta Bed Organic Mattress||GREENGUARD Gold Certified, GOLS Certified (latex), and GOTS Certified (wool and cotton)||20-Year Limited Warranty||USA||$$|
The Bottom Line
Your child needs good sleep to grow into a healthy adult. However, not many parents know that their child’s mattress can be toxic and harmful.
To keep your baby healthy and safe, look only for non-toxic and eco-friendly mattresses that match all the criteria discussed above.
Readers Favorite Posts: 11 Best Non-Toxic Cribs For Babies 6 Best Non-Toxic Beds For Toddlers and Kids 5 Best Non-Toxic Car Seats Without Flame Retardants For Infants 5 Best Non-Toxic Convertible Car Seats Without Flame Retardants 5 Best Non-Toxic High Chairs For Babies And Toddlers 5 Best Goat Milk Formulas For Babies And Toddlers 5 Best Organic European Baby Formula Brands 10 Best Non-Toxic Diapers For Babies And Toddlers